The Ravens faced the Spireites for the first time since that play-off semi-final back in May and were backed by 40 travelling supporters.

It proved to be a positive first 45 for the Ravens. However, it was the hosts who pushed for the opener in the early stages when a cross from the left found the head of Ash Palmer who saw his connection float narrowly over the bar.

Moments later and former Chesterfield man Grant Smith was first called into action, expertly tipping over Ollie Banks’ curling effort from the edge of the area.

On nine minutes, Chesterfield appealed for a penalty, but whilst they were doing that, the Ravens attacked up the other end until Bim Pepple’s dangerous ball was intercepted by Harry Tyrer instead of falling to Jude Arthurs.

Ben Krauhaus spent the final hour of the game with no name or number on the back of his shirt after he was treated for a cut to the head when trying to win the ball.

Bromley weren’t awarded a free-kick for that one, but the referee blew his whistle in the Ravens’ favour soon after and Arthurs was the man who stepped up to take the free-kick in a dangerous position. After a short walk-up, he bent an effort into the side-netting in Bromley’s first real chance at goal in the first half.

Michael Cheek poked wide a Krauhaus cross on the stroke of half-time after six minutes were added to the 45 to end a solid first half for the visiting side.

Just like the first half, Chesterfield started the second period on top with Banks causing more problems. This time, unleashing a fantastic effort from range, but his shot whistled narrowly wide of the post.

The hosts did have their noses in front on 54 minutes when Joe Quigley nodded home the opener from close range.

Just past the hour mark and after James Vennings and Todd Miller came on for the Ravens, Chesterfield’s scorer was on the search for his second after skipping past multiple players before cutting back inside and unleashing a bending effort which floated just over the bar.

One did become two when a Chesterfield corner found the head of Tom Naylor who nodded in the hosts’ second.

The Spireites maintained their pressure and almost celebrated a third when Ryan Colclough’s shot hit the advertising board before pounding into the outer-back of the net.

Will Grigg came on and almost added his name to the scoresheet, backheeling a cross just past the post early into six minutes of stoppage time.

The miss didn’t matter though as Chesterfield hung on to their two-goal lead and clean sheet to end Bromley’s unbeaten run.

Sign up for our Newsletter