Bromley lost 3-2 away to Wealdstone as they commenced their National League season.

In the opening few minutes, the Ravens’ goalkeeper Reice Charles-Cook was called into action, after Max Kretzschmar’s shot that was heading into the top corner was well saved. Bromley pressed, with Omar Sowunmi’s header finding Michael Cheek who could only head the ball wide. The Stone’s good start was to pay off. In the 16th minute, Charles-Cook produced another incredible save from close range but the ball rebounded to Olufela Olomola who could not miss to give the hosts the lead, despite Bromley’s keeper getting a touch on the effort. 

Bromley had their first shot on target in the 20th minute, with Harry Forster testing Samuel Howes from close range – the Wealdstone keeper saved the effort comfortably. As the game passed the half hour mark, Reece Hannam’s free-kick was humbled by Howes, with the Stones’ defence clearing the ball away from danger. From that opportunity, Bromley got their first goal of the season in the 33rd minute. Hannam delivered an inch-perfect corner and Sowunmi powerfully headed the ball into the top right corner, leaving Wealdstone’s keeper with no chance. 

The opportunity spurred Bromley on, as minutes later Hannam’s free-kick from 25 yards went narrowly wide. As the half was coming to an end, Corey Whitely produced an exquisite delivery into the penalty area which was met by Cheek who headed Bromley into the lead, unmarked. It was the striker’s first goal of the season after some brilliant build up play.  

In the second half, Olomola from 20 yards forced Charles-Cook to dive to his right and palm away his free-kick in the 46th minute. Minutes later, Charles-Cook once again saved from Olomola, following a Lewis Kinsella free-kick. The striker headed from close range with the Bromley keeper diving once again to his right. 

In the 53rd minute, a ball was played to Cheek who headed the ball to his fellow attacker Adam Marriott, with the striker producing a save from Howes. With the game approaching the 60th minute, Nathan Ferguson curled an effort just wide of the post. 

In the 66th minute, Wealdstone were awarded a penalty in controversial circumstances. Substitute Stephan Browne slotted the penalty into the bottom right corner to equalise for Wealdstone. In the 70th minute, Ferguson forced another save from Charles-Cook from a tight angle.

In the 78th minute, Wealdstone took the lead. Kretzschmar’s cross found Jack Cook who headed the ball into the back of the net with power, leaving Charles-Cook with no chance. 

In the 90th minute, Billy Bingham’s corner was met by Ethan Coleman at the back post who saw his headed effort saved well by Howes. 

It was a day to forget for Bromley.

Bromley: 13 Reice Charles-Cook, 3 Reece Hannam (Arthurs), 4 Billy Bingham, 5 Chris Bush, 6 Omar Sowunmi, 9 Michael Cheek, 10 Adam Marriot, 17 Byron Webster, 18 Corey Whitely, 19 Harry Forster (Bloomfield), 21 James Vennings (Coleman)

Unused Subs: 11 Louis Dennis, 15 Zak Bradshaw

Match report by Alex Exadactylos

Sign up for our Newsletter