20 February 2018

Report: Aldershot Town 1-1 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley were just moments away from claiming an impressive victory at the EBB Stadium on Tuesday night, but fell victim to an injury time equaliser from the hosts.

The Ravens played some nice football in the early stages of the match, and were arguably the better side in the first half. Louis Dennis and George Porter both had shots at goal early on, but failed to test Lewis Ward in the home goal.

At the other end, James Rowe was the spark for Town, as he seemed to pop up in a range of dangerous areas, firing shots narrowly wide on two occasions, before shooting just over the crossbar.

Bromley would eventually take the lead on 24 minutes. Dennis played a well weighted through ball down the right to Brandon Hanlan, who cut inside and delivered a low ball across the face of goal, where Luke Woolfenden would find himself stabbing an effort into the bottom corner for his first Bromley goal.

Bromley would have more possession in the Shots penalty area but were unable to threaten Ward’s goal much further, as some resolute defending saw the hosts through to half time only a goal down.

In the second half, it would be more of the same for Bromley. In the early stages, Hanlan cut in from the left wing and set the ball back to George Porter on the edge of the box, where he fired a first time effort just over the crossbar.

At the other end, Shots substitute Shamir Fenelon was a thorn in Tyrone Sterling’s side, firing in dangerous crosses towards the six yard box and embarking on several bursts down the right.

Just after the hour mark, Bromley would have a golden chance to make it 2-0. Porter played a delightful through ball down the right wing for Hanlan to chase, and after the on-loan Charlton Athletic man picked up possession, he beat a defender and raced into the box, evading the diving Ward and squaring the ball to Dennis. With the goalkeeper stranded, Dennis shot at goal first time, but saw his goalbound effort deflected over the crossbar courtesy of a last ditch challenge.

Adam McDonnell then went close to levelling things up, as the home side began to apply more pressure following three attacking substitutions, firing a fierce volley inches wide from the edge of the box.

As time drew on, Bromley substitute Omar Bugiel showed excellent strength out wide to outmuscle Lewis Kinsella and progress into the box, before playing a beautiful ball across the face of goal, only to see no white shirts connect with it.

However, all the Shots’ late pressure would pay off late on. After four minutes of additional time was signalled, they threw the proverbial kitchen sink at Bromley. After the ball dropped kindly for him just inside the box after Bromley failed to clear, Manny Oyeleke lashed a shot past the diving David Gregory to claim a share of the points at the death.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Rees (Chorley), Holland (C), Raymond, Hanlan (Bugiel), Dennis, Higgs, Sterling, Porter (Sutherland), R.Johnson, Woolfenden.

Attendance: 1,909 (84 Bromley fans).

Sign up for our Newsletter