25 November 2017

Report: Barrow AFC 0-3 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley cruised to a 3-0 win at the Furness Building Society Stadium in terrible conditions on Saturday, thanks to second half goals from Luke Wanadio and Dominic Vose, which added to Frankie Raymond’s first half strike.

The visiting Ravens very much started the game on the front foot, and a matter of a handful of minutes in, persistence from Jack Holland, who was being deployed as a centre forward set the ball back to Louis Dennis, who, from long range and at an angle, had a shot, but with the goalkeeper stranded, his effort was inches wide of the post.

However, after some neat attacking play throughout the opening minutes, Bromley would get their just rewards after 24 minutes. Dennis, who was surging towards the box, was pulled down in a central position around 20 yards out. A free kick was awarded, and after a neatly taken set from Dennis, Frankie Raymond struck a crisp strike low and hard into the bottom corner, through a crowd of players and beating the diving Stuart Moore.

Barrow would have Moore to thank for keeping the score down not long after, as he saved well from a close range Adam Mekki effort, before Holland’s follow up was cleared off the line. Around half a minute later, Mekki was again in the thick of it, as he scooped an effort over the bar when under pressure from the advancing Moore.

After the break, having had virtually no clear cut chances in the first half, Barrow came out the blocks on very much an attacking front. Byron Harrison found himself on the edge of the six yard box and ready to pull the trigger, only for a deflection to take his shot wide.

Moments later he went even closer. After rather fortunately receiving a wayward shot at his feet, the Bluebirds’ top scorer from last season struck a low effort at goal which hit the upright, before bouncing onto the back of David Gregory and being subsequently cleared by Roger Johnson.

Amongst all of the Barrow pressure, Bromley grabbed a second, and Luke Wanadio was the man to score it. A fluid counter attack culminated in Holland chesting down and controlling a pass, before setting the ball out to Wanadio, who took a touch and struck a low shot to Moore’s near post, beating him.

Soon after, top scorer Josh Rees could have added to the score, but following great work from Wanadio to cut in and deliver a low ball on a plate, his shot was straight at Moore.

However, two would become three late on, as substitute Dominic Vose registered his first goal in a Bromley shirt. The former Wrexham man swung in a free kick from out wide which avoided everyone in the box, including Moore, and nestled in the bottom corner.

Rees nearly made it four in the dying minutes, but after being put through on goal, he delayed his shot and when he eventually took it, he was denied by a well timed block, sending the ball out of play but strangely seeing a goal kick awarded.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Rees, Holland ©, Raymond (Sutherland), Dennis (Porter), Mekki, Higgs, D.Johnson, Sterling, Wanadio (Vose), R.Johnson. Unused subs: Allen, Wynter.

Attendance: 941 (29 away supporters)

Report by Matt Hall

Sign up for our Newsletter