27 October 2018

Report: Boreham Wood 2-1 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley fell to defeat in Hertfordshire on a cold Saturday afternoon, but will feel hard done by not to have taken anything, having had the lion’s share of the chances, and playing some nice football, particularly in the first half.

As it goes, it was the Ravens who had the first chance of the afternoon, and it fell to Frankie Sutherland. After picking up the ball midway inside the Wood half, the former QPR midfielder drove at the home defence and leathered a shot at goal, which was parried away from danger by Ryan Huddart.

Despite playing some very neat football, the Ravens were unable to carve many clear cut chances, and the hosts nearly took advantage of this, as Mark Ricketts picked up a loose ball just outside the Bromley penalty area, but blasted high and wide.

It wouldn’t be long after this that Bromley would take the lead. An inswinging corner delivery from Frankie Raymond was met by the diving head of Omar Bugiel at the near post, who flicked a header into the net, via a touch from Huddart.

Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe had a good chance to double Bromley’s lead just a minute later, as he got on the end of a deep cross from Sam Wood on the edge of the six yard box, but couldn’t get enough power on his header, which was easily claimed by the goalkeeper.

After a Wood defender flicked a Sutherland corner inches wide of his own post, the hosts would be gifted a chance of their own. Jack Holland gave away possession midway through his own half, allowing Wood to counter attack swiftly, but Sorba Thomas could only strike the ball straight into Gregory’s arms after surging into the box.

On 41 minutes, Boreham Wood would have Huddart to thank for keeping the scores down. A well weighted free kick delivery from Frankie Sutherland was nodded at goal by Holland, but he was denied by the leg of Huddart, in what was an excellent reaction save.

The hosts would, however, draw level on 44 minutes, in very fortunate circumstances. A Connor Smith cross into the box ricocheted off two Bromley players, and Justin Shaibu was alert to scramble the ball over the line.

After the break, it was more of the same from Bromley, who remained the brighter of the two sides. Just three minutes in, they would have a golden chance to re-take the lead. George Porter fooled the Wood defence, who were expecting a long throw into the box, by playing it short to Sam Wood, who delivered an outrageous outside of the boot cross into the box, which was headed just over by Holland from a matter of yards out.

Porter himself then found time and space 25 yards out from goal moments later, but saw his powerful drive take a big deflection, before being fielded by Huddart.

On 59 minutes, however, Boreham Wood took the lead against the run of play. With his first touch, on-loan Chesterfield striker Gozie Ugwu nodded a Thomas free kick into the bottom corner, after ghosting in across the penalty area unchallenged.

As Bromley searched for an equaliser, Joe Quigley came on to make his debut for the Club, and nearly carved an opportunity early on. After seeing two shots blocked, he slotted the ball into fellow substitute Adam Mekki’s path in the box, but off balance, he curled a shot narrowly wide.

Josh Umerah nearly added to the Wood’s lead with a fierce shot on the turn, before Mekki clipped the crossbar after being set by Quigley. It was Mekki again who would go the closest for Bromley as the clock ran down, firing an angled drive at goal, which was well saved by Huddart.

As five minutes of additional time drew to a close, Bugiel found himself through on goal with only Huddart to beat, but was denied by a well timed, last ditch sliding tackle from Manny Parry.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Sutherland, Holland (C), Raymond (Okoye), Bugiel, Porter (Mekki), Ogedi-Uzokwe, Goddard (Quigley), Wood, Brindley, Rooney

Unused substitutes: De Silva, Goodman

Attendance: 629

Sign up for our Newsletter