24 February 2018

Bromley 0-0 Spennymoor Town

  • Men's

Bromley and Spennymoor Town played out a goalless stalemate at the H2T Group Stadium on Saturday afternoon, in cold and windy conditions.

The National League North visitors put in a defensively resolute display, with Bromley having a number of chances to win the game, yet, ultimately being unable to make them count.

Bromley had the better of the chances in the first half, as after 15 minutes, Frankie Raymond’s clever, quickly taken corner was delivered low into the box, where Louis Dennis made a clever run to meet the ball on the edge of the box and shot low first time, but with his effort destined for the back of the net, James Curtis was on hand to clear it off the line.

Less than ten minutes later, George Porter tried his luck with a long range effort, and it nearly paid off, with the makeshift winger seeing his effort fly narrowly wide of goal. Spennymoor then began to get a foothold in the game and could have gone ahead, but for Andrew Johnson’s shot from the edge of the box was straight into the arms of David Gregory. Roger Johnson then rose highest to a Raymond corner, only to see his thunderous effort hit the crossbar and roll onto the roof of the net.

As half time approached, Josh Rees played a well weighted ball down the right for the onrushing Brandon Hanlan, who cut inside and raced at goal, but as he was about to pull the trigger, he was denied by an excellent last ditch challenge from Curtis, who injured himself in the process and was replaced at half time.

On the stroke of the interval, the Ravens would be denied yet again by some last ditch defending. This time, Porter’s inch-perfect cross was chested down and volleyed at goal by Luke Wanadio, but the recovering Pat Tait was in the right place at the right time to divert the ball behind.

After the break, it would be the visitors who would have the first chance to open the scoring. Just four minutes in, Robert Ramshaw went clean through on goal, but Tyrone Sterling reacted well to poke the ball away from his feet at the last minute, and through the legs of the advancing Gregory for a corner.

12 minutes from time, both sides would have good chances within the space of a minute. Firstly, Porter made a great run down the left wing, stretching the Town back-line and cutting in, but seeing his curling shot blocked. From the subsequent clearance, Glen Taylor nearly finished off a neat counter attack, but saw his effort saved by Gregory.

After Kallum Griffiths headed off the line for Town, Daniel Lowson, in the Spennymoor goal, made an incredible reaction save to claw a towering Omar Bugiel header out of goal when it seemed to have beaten him.

Town weathered the late Bromley pressure and earned themselves a replay at The Brewery Field on Tuesday 27th February.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Reesn (Sutherland), Holland (C), Raymond, Hanlan, Dennis, Sterling, Wanadio (Bugiel), Porter, R.Johnson, Woolfenden.

Unused subs: Chorley, Higgs, D.Johnson.

Attendance: 1504 (199 away fans)

Sign up for our Newsletter