6 January 2018

Report: Bromley 0-1 AFC Fylde

  • Men's

Bromley did everything but score at the H2T Group Stadium on Saturday afternoon, as a professional performance from AFC Fylde saw them take all three points.

The away side were full of energy from the word go, and Jonny Smith nearly gave them a dream start. A long ball from Andrew Bond towards the penalty area bounced awkwardly for David Gregory, and he was beaten to it by Smith, who took it around him and looked to slide the ball into the net, however, his effort failed to make it through a crowd of players and was cleared.

The Ravens had a good chance to take the lead just after the 20 minute mark, as excellent work between Luke Wanadio and Louis Dennis saw the latter play a well weighted through ball to the former, who let fly with a first time effort, but off balance, he shot just wide of the near post.

Soon after, Bromley would see themselves miss a golden opportunity to take the lead. Good work once again from Wanadio down the right saw him cut inside and fire a low shot at goal, which went through the legs of a defender and beyond the reach of Jay Lynch but agonisingly bounced off the base of the post, and fell to the feet of Josh Rees, who, from a matter of yards out, somehow put his effort wide. Minutes later, Dennis worked space for himself just outside the box but could only curl his effort straight into the arms of Lynch.

Bromley were made to pay for those missed chances after 28 minutes. Fylde produced a neat counter attack which ended with Danny Rowe finding Jack Muldoon on the left side of the box. Muldoon then beat Luke Woolfenden for pace and fired an effort across goal, which was deflected in off the sliding Roger Johnson. Not long after this, Bromley had Gregory to thank for making an excellent save from another Muldoon effort, as Fylde were firmly on the ascendency.

After the break, Wanadio had two chances within the first 15 minutes, firstly forcing a save from Lynch with a cross-cum-shot, before firing a fierce volley just wide of the post following a corner. He went close again soon after as a good effort from Rees was parried to the corner of the six yard box, but after beating Jordan Richards to the ball, his shot was denied by an excellent last ditch slide from the aforementioned Coasters man.

Rowe then went close for the away side, as from nothing, he turned and curled an effort inches wide of the post, from just outside the penalty area. Omar Bugiel, fresh from joining the club on loan from Forest Green Rovers, made a certain impact as he came on at the beginning of the second half, and went close late on with an effort from the centre of the box which was deflected just wide.

Time drew on and Fylde slowed down the pace and ran down the clock, and a frustrated Bromley were unable to draw level, despite creating several clear cut chances.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Rees, Holland (C), Raymond, Dennis, Mekki (Williams), Sterling, Wanadio, Porter (Bugiel), R.Johnson, Woolfenden (Higgs).

Unused subs: Chorley, D.Johnson.

Attendance: 1,293

Sign up for our Newsletter