10 December 2016

FA Trophy Report: Bromley 1-1 Leiston

  • Men's

Bromley welcomed Ryman League Premier Division playoff candidates Leiston on Saturday in the first round of the Buildbase FA Trophy, with the visitors fresh from beating National League South outfit Eastbourne Borough on penalties during the week in a qualifying round replay, earning themselves the trip to Hayes Lane.

It was Bromley who started the more brightly of the two sides, and Adam Cunnington and George Porter both put headers wide in the opening stages, with the latter missing by a matter of inches. Blair Turgott also tested visiting stopper Jacob Marsden with a low drive from distance, but the shot was straight at him, allowing him to make a comfortable save. Turgott repeated this minutes later, with Marsden diving down to his right to clutch the ball to his chest.

Cunnington tested Marsden further on the 15 minute mark, as he rose highest to meet Joe Anderson’s floated cross, following neat link up play with Dave Martin, but again, it lacked power allowing a comfortable save. Rob Swaine then hit the crossbar with a header from a corner, as the hosts really turned up the heat. Matt Blake then caught the Bromley defence napping, as he nipped in unopposed to collect a throw in and flashed a cross-cum-shot across the face of goal, but nobody was there to tap home for Leiston.

Patrick Brothers then surged at goal for the blues after getting the better of Connor Dymond, but saw his effort well held by Alan Julian. As Bromley missed chance after chance, the visitors sensed it was their time to strike, and they nearly did just that, with Gareth Heath forcing a good save from Julian with an effort that looked destined for the top corner. Brothers then found himself in a great position, and from an angle, curled an effort just wide of the far upright.

However, two minutes before half time, Bromley finally made the breakthrough. After Turgott’s powerful effort from just outside the penalty area had been brilliantly parried by Marsden, Porter was there to tap home from a slight angle to settle any nerves from the home side.

In the second half, the Ravens picked up as they left off, with Turgott cutting in from the left and having a shot deflected out for a corner, and Swaine heading narrowly wide from the subsequent set piece. However, after Bromley tried to settle, Leiston struck out of nowhere, and it was Blake who drew them level, slotting past Julian after controlling a cross completely unmarked.

Bromley nearly responded immediately, but Jordan Higgs’ flicked header was just about kept out by Marsden. Turgott then took advantage of some poor defending, but after intercepting Joe Jefford’s backpass, he was unable to chip the advancing Marsden. As time drew on, Bromley managed more half chances, but were unable to turn their dominance into a victory.

Bromley XI: Julian, Johnson, Swaine, Holland (C), Martin (Dennis), Porter, Cunnington, Dymond (Wynter), Anderson, Higgs, Turgott.

Unused substitutes: Chorley, Goldberg, Sho-Silva.

Sign up for our Newsletter