3 February 2018

FA Trophy: Workington 1-1 Bromley

  • Men's

In tough conditions on an extremely heavy and weather battered playing surface, Bromley fought back from 1-0 down against Workington at Borough Park to earn a home replay on Tuesday night.
The home side were most certainly up for the tie and this showed early on, as Connor Tinnion created space on the edge of the box and worked his way inside, before fizzing a low shot just wide of David Gregory’s upright in the opening minute of the game.

Not long after, good pressure from Brandon Hanlan, who was making his second debut for the Ravens after rejoining the club from Charlton Athletic on Thursday, saw him chase down a lost cause to earn a corner. The delivery fell kindly for George Porter on the edge of the box, but he saw his effort deflect off the unsuspecting Hanlan and comfortably into Aaran Taylor’s arms.

Then came two more good chances for Bromley. An outstanding threaded pass from Josh Rees was met by the run of Omar Bugiel, who took the ball in his stride as he entered the penalty area, but as he pulled the trigger, Taylor bravely smothered the ball at his feet. And less than 30 seconds after that, Porter found space on the right hand side of the box and cut in to shoot low, but Taylor was again equal to it.

Perhaps the best chance of the half came on the 15 minute mark, and it would fall to the home side. Nathan Waterston weaved through challenges and shot low at goal from an angle, but saw his effort cannon off the base of the post, allowing Bromley to clear.

The Ravens would also have a golden opportunity to take the lead nine minutes before half time. Outstanding wing play from Porter saw him beat his man with ease and surge down the right, before crossing low for Rees, who, from the centre of the box, mid-hit a first time effort straight at Taylor.

The rain was a constant thorn in the side of both teams at this point, and was contributing heavily to the state of the pitch, which had cut up significantly since kickoff.

After the break, it would be the Reds who would begin on the front foot, and this would see them take the lead after just four minutes.

A counter attack, orchestrated by Waterston, saw him carry the ball down the right wing and play a dangerous, low cross into the six yard box, where Phil McLuckie tapped home, courtesy of a deflection.

After a 20 minute spell of no real threat for either side, Bromley should have been level. Magnificent play from Hanlan saw him beat his man on the edge of the box and narrow his angle, but crucially, side foot the ball wide from a great position. Just one minute later, Luke Wanadio took aim from just outside the box, but saw his curling effort end up just wide.

Nine minutes after that however, there would be an equaliser. A delightful, drilled corner from Frankie Raymond made its way towards the six yard box, where captain Jack Holland rose highest and nodded past Taylor at his near post, to reward the travelling support.

It would end that way too, with both sides unable to find a winner as tired legs set in, and they will do battle again in a replay on Tuesday evening, this time at The H2T Group Stadium.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Rees (Sutherland), Chorley, Holland (C), Raymond, Hanlan, Sterling, Wanadio, Porter, Woolfenden, Bugiel (Higgs).

Unused substitutes: Huxter (GK), D.Johnson, R.Johnson.

Attendance: 890

Click here for tickets and match details>

Sign up for our Newsletter