28 March 2016

Bromley 2-2 Forest Green Rovers

  • Men's

10-Man Bromley snatched a late equaliser to draw 2-2 with Forest Green Rovers on Easter Monday. Jack Hollands 93rd minute header denied Ady Pennock’s side hopes of gaining all three points at Hayes Lane.

Neil Smith made three changes from the side that started on Friday, Paul Rodgers, Adam Coombes and Adam Cunnington replaced Sean Francis, Louis Dennis and Ben May.

Coming off the back of that defeat to Braintree on Friday, Bromley were looking to put on a show for a decent crowd inside Hayes Lane. However, Forest Green Rovers took the early impotence and won a free kick minutes into the half. Brett Williams broke forward and brought out a rash challenge from Bromley skipper, Rob Swaine. The tackle warranted the first yellow card of the match with referee, Rob Whitton, wasting no time in issuing the caution.

The resulting free kick was taken by Marcus Kelly but the wall did its job and blocked the effort. Rovers kept the attack alive though, the ball fell to Racine who struck from distance but a slight deflection of Rob Swaine was enough to put the ball behind for a corner.

Brett Williams took the short corner and he laid it off to Marcus Kelly who crossed for the far post. The ball was then hit with some venom, forcing a good save from Alan Julian. Julian could only parry the ball and Darren Carter was on hand to strike the ball once more. His effort came off the legs of Kurtis Guthrie, finding the bottom corner. The front man may not have known much about it, but the goal was his.

Bromley then had their first chance of the match. The ball was played forward to Lee Minshull, he won the header leading to an impromptu game of head tennis. Cunnington eventually got the ball down and passed for Pierre Joseph-Dubois. He set up Moses Emmanuel who curled and effort into the hands of Steve Arnold.

Forest Green then pulled out the best in Alan Julian once more. Some clever footwork from Marsh-Brown on the wing sent through Kelly. He skipped past Paul Rodgers giving Bret Williams a sight at goal. His first effort was struck at the legs of Julian who then got up once more only to have to get down low to his right in order to deny Williams once more. The double save brought an ovation from the crowd but his efforts were to be dampened within moments.

A free kick on the right hand side was whipped in by Marcus Kelly, Charlie Clough rose well to meet it placing the ball into the path of Williams who was denied one more by Bromley’s goalkeeper. Guthrie was more clinical however, he slammed home the rebound putting Rovers 2-0 up at half time.

The second half saw Bromley start much more brightly and The Ravens earned themselves a corner 20 minutes after the restart. The ball came out to Joe Anderson who set it back to Paul Rodgers in the centre of the pitch. He played a perfectly weighted cross onto the head of Lee Minshull. The midfielder nodded it across the box to Joseph-Dubois netting Bromley’s first of the game.

Neither side had much sight at goal and the game entered the last 10 minutes. Then came what everyone thought would have been the defining moment in the match. Bromley were reduced to ten men after Paul Rodgers dived into a tackle two footed. The right back was already on a booking however the referee issued a straight red for the challenge.

Many in the ground would have thought this was Forest Greens que to see out the match and win all three points. However, this would not be the case, a Bromley corner taken by Rohdell Gordon was met by the head of Rob Swaine. With the ball, heading into the path of Steve Arnold, Jack Holland rose out of nowhere to flick the ball just out of the goalkeeper’s reach earning a point for The Ravens.


Bromley XI: Julian, Fuseini, Swaine, Holland, Joseph-Dubois, Cunnington, Rodgers, Anderson, Minshull, Emmanuel, Coombes.

SUBS: Goldberg, Dennis, Francis, Gordon, Higgs.

Forest Green XI: Arnold, Jennings, Clough, Bennett, Marsh-Brown, Kelly, Racine, Guthrie, Sinclair, Carter, Williams

SUBS: Pipe, Wedgbury, Frear, Moore, Parkin

ATTENDANCE: 1,455 (151 travelling supporters)

Sign up for our Newsletter