27 February 2016

Kidderminster Harriers 0-1 Bromley

  • Men's

A Joe Anderson freekick wins it late on for Bromley at Kidderminster.

Neil Smith and his Bromley side travelled up to relegation threatened Kidderminster Harriers with an aim of getting two wins in two on Saturday. The Harriers sat bottom of the league at the start of play having failed to win in their last three games. Prior to that though, Kidderminster had beaten the likes of Macclesfield and Eastleigh as well as getting a crucial win over fellow relegation battlers, Boreham Wood. Goals have been an issue for the Worcestershire side with Ben Whitfield sitting as their top scorer on 4 goals whereas defending has been a problem for Bromley conceding 57 goals in 33 games.

After a shortly delayed kick off the game got underway with Bromley unchanged from last week’s win over Woking. Aside from a few early Kidderminster crosses, it was Moses Emmanuel who got the first attempt on goal. He received the ball on the edge of the box and, on the turn, hit a strike which went wide of the post. Kidderminster then won a succession of corners with the first forcing Alan Julian into a great save from Langmeads header. The Bromley defence were able to defend the follow ups.

Following the two opening chances, the match settled into the frustrating stalemate it became. Both sides resulted to long balls and were unable to find much quality when in the final third. Ten minutes before the break however, Emmanuel had his second chance of the game. After some nice interplay bringing Bromley into the box, Emmanuel’s effort was well dealt with by Snedeker in the Harriers goal.
The last chance of the half fell to Kidderminster’s, Langmead. Kinsella crossed for the centre half but he was once again denied by Alan Julian, keeping the scores level at the interval.

Kidderminster brought on Whitfield after the break looking for another attacking option, but it was Bromley who would force the issue after the restart. Emmanuel once again at the focal point of The Ravens threat, the ball was whipped in from the right but he could only head over the bar. Eight minutes later and Kidderminster went the closest to opening the scoring. Ben Whitfield’s corner met the head of Keith Lowe but Julian superbly denied The Harriers once more.

One of the key talking points in the game came ten minutes from time with Bromley’s Rob Swaine at the heart of it. Kidderminster’s Evan Garnett tricked his way into the box and just before he was about to strike for goal, Swaine challenged the striker inside the box. The home fans within the stadium were adamant that this warranted a penalty however, the referee deemed otherwise with nothing being awarded.

Bromley kept at it until the end and introduced Bradley Goldberg late on but it would be a defender who won all three points. A free kick was won by Bromley with less than five minutes to go and Joe Anderson delivered the ball in. The teasing cross alluded everyone in the box including the Kidderminster goal keeper, and the ball snuck into the far left corner. The 101 travelling fans hesitantly celebrated while everyone caught up with what had just happened, but Bromley did indeed take the lead from the free kick. 4 additional minutes provided a slightly uneasy end to the game but Neil Smiths side saw out the match and had now won their second game in a row. The win sees The Ravens increase their position above the last relegation spot to 11 points but remain in 14th position.

Match Report by James Tanner

Full Time Audio Summary

Fantastic support again! Thank you all! #WeAreBromley

Sign up for our Newsletter