17 April 2019

KSC: Bromley 1-1 Maidstone United (2-3 pens)

  • Men's

Bromley lost out on the Kent Senior Cup 2-3 on penalties to Local Rivals Maidstone United at Hayes Lane last night, after the two sides were locked into a 1-1 draw at the end of 90 minutes.

The Ravens were missing Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu and Luke Coulson due to the pair being cup-tied, along with Reeco Hackett-Fairchild who was not only cup-tied, but also injured. The list went on for Bromley, as top scorer JJ Hooper had to pull out of the squad due to a groin injury.

The match got off to something of a slow and cagey start, with little of note occurring by way of chances in the entire first half.

Jordan Higgs went close for Bromley on 19 minutes, but shot wide, before Marc-Anthony Okoye, an early substitute for the injured Omar Bugiel, stabbed a cross goalwards at the back post, only for the visitors’ defence to recover and clear the ball.

Bugiel’s injury left the Ravens without a recognised centre-forward on the pitch, meaning Okoye was deployed as a makeshift striker.

However, the hosts would take the lead on the half hour mark, as George Porter was fouled just inside the box, prompting the referee to award a penalty. Up stepped Frankie Sutherland, and the Bromley number 4 made no mistake, sending Chris Lewington the wrong way and coolly converting.

The Stones would level things up on 61 minutes, as Bromley failed to clear an Ollie Muldoon free kick convincingly, allowing Elliott Romain to divert the ball home from close range.

Former Bromley man Blair Turgott then tested David Gregory with a low effort, before George Porter’s looping header looked to creep in at the far post, only for Lewington to make the save.

Bromley named Zavon Hines amongst their substitutes, and when he entered the fray on 80 minutes, he went very close to scoring what would have been one of the best goals in his career. After taking on several defenders, he weaved his way across challenges and into the box, before unleashing a powerful strike, which Lewington reacted well to save.

The Ravens thought they took the lead on 87 minutes, but after Roger Johnson bundled a corner into the net, the referee disallowed the goal for reasons which remain unclear.

With the scores level at 90 minutes, the match went straight to penalties. Jack Richards stepped up first for Maidstone, only to see his effort saved by Gregory. Sutherland then took Bromley’s first penalty, but Lewington guessed right this time and saved well.

Muldoon was next up for the Stones, but blasted an ever-rising effort over the bar and out of the ground. Despite Frankie Raymond and Richard Brindley converting, the Ravens would miss two further penalties, meaning the visitors retained the Kent Senior Cup.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Sutherland, Johnson, Holland (C), Raymond, Bugiel (Okoye), Dunne (Craske), Higgs (Hines), Porter, Wood, Brindley.

Unused substitutes: Brefo, Ojemen

Attendance: 1,587

Sign up for our Newsletter