14 February 2018

KSC SF Report: Maidstone United 4-2 Bromley

  • Men's

A youthful Bromley side bowed out of the Kent Reliance Senior Cup at the semi-final stage on Tuesday night, as Maidstone United recorded a 4-2 victory in the second meeting between the two sides in a matter of days.

Starting a number of academy players, and having an entire bench full of them too, manager Neil Smith saw an opportunity to integrate some of the club’s young talent into the first team, and despite the scoreline, the youngsters, some only 16 years of age, did themselves and the club proud.

Bromley were in fact the first of the sides to have the ball in the net. Jordan Higgs played a well timed through ball to the running Omar Bugiel, who just mistimed his run, and despite slotting past Worgan, would see his effort chalked off for offside.

Blair Turgott and Jack Richards caused the unfamiliar Bromley back-line a number of problems and the former blazed an effort over the bar, before the former shot straight at Max Huxter.

On 29 minutes, the hosts would take the lead. Former Bromley man Turgott played a cross towards the back post, where Delano Sam-Yorke was waiting to slot into the net.

Another former Bromley player, Reece Prestedge, could have made it 2-0 minutes later, but volleyed inches wide of the post from the corner of the six yard box, after running onto a chipped through ball.

As half time approached, Richards forced an excellent save from Huxter, producing a curling effort destined for the top corner, only for the diving Huxter to intervene and tip it wide of the post.

Kristian Campbell could have levelled things up just before half time but after a Frankie Sutherland free kick was deflected unknowingly into his path, he slotted a first time effort wide with the goal at his mercy.

After the break, it wouldn’t take long for the Stones to double their lead. On 56 minutes, Sam-Yorke netted his and United’s second, tapping home a Seth Nana Twumasi cross from the centre of the six yard box.

On 63 minutes, the Ravens would pull a goal back. Strength and pace from on-loan Forest Green Rovers striker Omar Bugiel saw him cut in from the right and beat his man, before dispatching a low, drilled effort into the bottom corner from an angle.

Yet, just minutes later, the home side restored their two goal advantage. Turgott was played through on goal with only Huxter to beat, and scored his second goal in as many matches, with a cool, placed finish.

As the confidence in the young Ravens side began to drop slightly, the Stones would grab a fourth just three minutes later. This time, recent signing Darius Osei would be the man to tap home a low cross, into the roof of Huxter’s net.

Bromley weren’t giving up there though, and minutes before the final whistle, Bugiel netted his second of the night, latching onto a poor backpass and rounding Lee Worgan, before slotting into the empty net.

Bromley XI: Huxter (GK), Dunne (Lovely), Campbell, Higgs, D.Johnson, Sutherland, T.Anderson, Bugiel, Peter-Brown (Enver), D.Anderson, Adamon (Kalala).

Unused subs: Baskerville, Krasniqi.

Attendance: 607 (92 Bromley fans)

Report by Matt Hall

Sign up for our Newsletter