26 August 2019

Ravens come from behind to take all three points at Maidenhead

  • Men's

The Ravens seal a late, late comeback win thanks to a Reeco Hackett-Fairchild double.

However, it was the hosts who should have taken an early lead. After Joe Kizzi lost the ball, a whipped cross into the six yard box was met by a first time shot from Shamir Fenelon, but when he should have at least hit the target, he fired wide.

Michael Klass would have a good chance to open his Bromley account minutes later after being found in the box by Michael Cheek, but delayed his shot perhaps a little too long, and it was blocked.

The end to end nature the game had started in would continue, as a hit and hope cross into the box from Alan Massey was met by Danny Whitehall, only for the recovering Marc-Anthony Okoye to save Bromley with a quite outstanding goal line clearance.

Whitehall was in the thick of it again a minute later, as he lashed an effort at goal from close range, which was somehow kept out by Mark Cousins, who also managed to get a hand to the rebound before Cheek was able to clear off the line.

The pulsating start to the game somewhat dropped after the half hour mark. James Akintunde had the only chance of note, sending a 25 yard strike narrowly wide.

After the break, Bromley looked the much sharper of the two sides. Seconds in, Cheek once again set Klass through on goal, but as he pulled the trigger, he was denied by a block.

Joe Kizzi then had a goalbound header from a Luke Coulson corner cleared from the six yard box, before Maidenhead responded with Fenelon troubling Cousins with a shot on the turn from close range, but the Ravens stopper held it well.

However, Bromley were dealt a hammer blow on 65 minutes. After another Coulson corner was cleared, the hosts broke with pace and after Sam Wood thwarted Whitehall with an excellent tackle as the counter attack reached the box, Josh Smile was on hand to smash home the loose ball.

Bromley looked to respond just a minute later, and Coulson should have levelled. After the ball was switched to the left side, Coulson was found in space in the box, but he put his effort across goal and wide.

However, the Ravens’ spirit wasn’t to be denied, as on 77 minutes Cheek charged down a poor clearance and threaded an excellent through ball to Hackett-Fairchild, who finished with an unnerving near post drive from an angle.

Cousins had to be at his best to keep the scores level with five minutes remaining, as Whitehall latched onto a visionary crossfield ball in the box and fired a fierce first time volley at goal, only for Cousins to make an incredible one handed save.

That would prove to be a turning point, as Bromley then went on to snatch the win. Hackett-Fairchild picked up the ball midway inside the hosts’ half and embarked on a mazy run, through several Magpies defenders, before coolly dispatching an effort across Taye Ashby-Hammond and into the bottom corner.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Wood, Okoye (C), Raymond, Cheek, Bingham, Mekki (Coulson), Bush, Klass (Rees), Hackett-Fairchild

Unused substitutes: Dunne, Tanner, Henry

Attendance: 1,511


Sign up for our Newsletter