4 August 2018

Report: AFC Fylde 2-1 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley suffered an opening day defeat at Mill Farm on Saturday, as a second half Danny Rowe wonder strike sealed all three points for the Coasters.

The opening half hour was dominated by the Ravens, whose pressing game was frustrating the hosts and forcing them into playing a long ball game, which resulted in very few chances.

Although Bromley started on top, it would be the home side who would have the first chance. The lively James Hardy scooped an effort across the face of goal after a slick attack down the right, alerting Bromley to his threat just four minutes in.

Just a minute later, Roger Johnson flicked a header wide from a Frankie Raymond free kick, before Jack Holland’s long clearance almost sent Omar Bugiel through on goal, but for the intervention of Jay Lynch in the Fylde goal, who rushed out to claim the ball.

The next good chance for the Ravens came after 18 minutes, as the head of Marc-Anthony Okoye connected with a Frankie Sutherland corner and was directed goalbound, only for Lynch to make a smart catch.

The next chance of note for Bromley would fall to Jordan Higgs. After a long throw from George Porter wasn’t cleared by the Coasters, Higgs took a touch and struck a volley from the edge of the box, which went narrowly wide.

After this, the hosts grew into the game and would only need one clear cut chance to take the lead, and Captain Andy Bond would be the man to score it. A low cross from Hardy out on the left was allowed to pass through two defenders and into the six yard box, where Bond had the simple task of tapping into the net with only injury time remaining in the first half.

After the break, Fylde looked to extend their lead, and were on the attacking front immediately. A barrage of corners ensued in the opening three minutes, ending in Bond nearly scoring his second, but for a well timed block to deflect his curling effort wide of goal.

The first clear chance for Bromley would come after 60 minutes. A well weighted free kick delivery from Sutherland was met by the rising Porter, but he saw his flicked header go inches wide of the post.

But Bromley weren’t left to rue the missed opportunity for long, as they were level just three minutes after. Dan Johnson regained possession midway inside the Fylde half, and played a ball forwards to Higgs, who knocked the ball one side of his man and ran around the other, before closing down on goal and slipping the ball under Lynch from an angle.

It was nearly a quickfire double for Bromley moments later, as an inviting free kick delivery from Raymond was met at the back post by Jack Holland, who prodded the ball goalwards from close range, only to be denied by an excellent reaction save by Lynch.

The ascendency for the Ravens was somewhat short lived, however, as Fylde would take the lead once again on 68 minutes. Danny Rowe, last season’s top scorer, received the ball out on the right and drifted infield, before unleashing a stunning, curling drive, which beat the outstretched Gregory and nestled in the top corner.

After this, neither side managed to create a clear cut opportunity to score again, and the hosts held out for an opening day win over the Ravens.

Attendance: 1227

Bromley XI: Gregory, Adebayo-Rowling (Taylor), D.Johnson, Sutherland, R.Johnson, Holland (C), Raymond, Bugiel (Ogedi-Uzokwe), Higgs (Meekums), Okoye, Porter.

Unused substitutes: Huxter (GK), Goodman.

Sign up for our Newsletter