22 May 2021

Report: Aldershot Town 2-3 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley’s final away trip of the National League campaign took them to the EBB Stadium on Saturday afternoon to face Aldershot Town, who welcomed their own supporters back into the stands.

Though the match began in dry conditions, it was soon hampered by a downpour of rain, which certainly made its impact.

Following a cagey opening eight minutes, the first on-target attempt of the afternoon fell to Aldershot’s Craig Tanner, but after finding space 20 yards from goal, he could only direct his shot straight into the arms of Mark Cousins.

In an almost instant response, Ben Williamson got in behind the home defence and laid the ball on a plate in the six yard box, but no Bromley player was on hand to finish.

The game hit a slight lull, with neither side carrying much threat, before the Ravens broke the deadlock just shy of the half hour mark. A Jude Arthurs free kick caused havoc in the Shots’ penalty area, and after Joe Kizzi diverted the ball into the path of Michael Cheek, he couldn’t miss, finding the bottom corner from close range.

However, Bromley had to remain alert, as Aldershot looked for a quick route back into the game. An excellent cross from Joel Nouble found the head of Kaylen Hinds, who planted a header goalwards, only for Cousins to make a well-timed catch, at full stretch.

A minute later, and it could have been 2-0 to the visitors. Some excellent awareness from Jack Bridge saw him cut inside from the right and thread a pass through to the onrushing Arthurs, but one on one with Ryan Hall, he missed the target, shooting wide.

As the rain continued to pour, the Ravens had time for another chance before the break. The remnants of a corner fell to Liam Trotter in space just inside the box, but his low shot was deflected wide.

The second half would see improved weather conditions, as well as an improved showing from the hosts.

Seven minutes in, Tanner got the better of Charlie Fox and darted into the box before firing low, only for Cousins to make an outstanding save to deny him.

Less than a minute later, Arthurs would have a second opportunity to score, but as he pulled the trigger from close range, he was denied by an excellent challenge from Lewis Kinsella.

Minutes later, Cousins would have to be at his best once again, as he spread himself to make another save, this time at point blank range from Mo Bettamer.

On 71 minutes, however, Cousins would finally be beaten. Harrison Panayiotou positioned himself well to flick Nouble’s cross into the bottom corner.

The Shots’ joy would be short-lived, however, as the Ravens would go back in front less than five minutes later. Substitute Harry Forster’s trickery down the right created space, and he provided an excellent cross, which fellow substitute James Alabi nodded beyond Hall.

However, the topsy-turvy nature of the game continued, as the Shots would level with seven minutes left on the clock. It would be Panayiotou again, finishing from close range.

The hosts then threw everything forward, with Bettamer crashing a free kick against the post two minutes later, before Cousins was called into action again to deny Nouble with a fine save.

Yet, Bromley persisted, and deep into injury time, would claim all three points in dramatic fashion.

Chris Bush’s long throw was worked into the path of Forster, who, for the second time, produced a wonderful, floated cross into the six yard box, where Kizzi was waiting to power a header beyond Hall, with virtually the last kick of the game.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Fox, Bingham, Bush (C), Cheek, Trotter, Williamson (Alabi), Arthurs (Forster), Bridge (Campbell), Mitchell

Unused substitutes: Holland, Raymond


Sign up for our Newsletter