22 April 2019

Report: Barnet 1-1 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley’s final away game of the Vanarama National League season ended in a score draw, at a baking Hive Stadium this afternoon.

The opening half an hour was something of a pedestrian affair, with both sides having a couple of half chances but nothing to threaten either goalkeeper.

The first chance of note fell Bromley’s way on 31 minutes, as a sweetly struck first time cross from Frankie Raymond made its way towards the back post, where JJ Hooper could only stoop and head the ball high over Mark Cousins’ crossbar.

Four minutes later and the Ravens would have a golden chance to take the lead. After taking control of the ball in the box with his back to goal, Hooper picked Jordan Higgs out just inside the box, but with time and space, he placed his shot wide when he should have done better.

At the other end, it would be David Gregory Bromley would have to thank for keeping the scores level before the break. After latching onto a through ball, Ephron Mason-Clark went one on one with Gregory and fired a powerful effort at goal from close range, only for the Bromley stopper to make a point blank save with his face. Shaq Coulthirst was first to the follow up, but the recovering Sam Wood was able to deflect his shot onto the post before Bromley could clear.

Just before the break, Hooper headed inches over the crossbar after reaching an excellent Richard Brindley cross, before Luke Coulson fizzed a dangerous ball across the six yard box, but with no blue shirts on hand to prod home, it sailed wide.

Bromley did, however, make an excellent start to the second half. Just three minutes in, the impressive Higgs was on the scoresheet, after he timed his run to perfection to head Brindley’s pinpoint cross emphatically into the bottom corner to give Bromley the lead.

After Hooper shot wide as Bromley looked to extend their lead, Barnet reminded the Ravens of their threat as Jack Taylor worked his way into the box and struck a low effort towards the bottom corner, only for Gregory to react well to tip it wide.

He had to be alert again minutes later though, as substitute Simeon Akinola’s acrobatic overhead kick appeared to be destined for the back of the net, but for Gregory’s reactions once again, which saw him tip it over the crossbar.

However, on 71 minutes, the Bees would equalise. After Bromley failed to clear a cross, Coulthirst took the ball down at the back post and set himself, before lashing beyond Gregory to create an interesting final few minutes.

However, Bromley would certainly have the two best chances of that remaining period. The first would fall to Porter, but after charging down Callum Reynolds’ clearance and surging through on goal, he saw his effort agonisingly rebound off the inside of the post before being cleared to safety.

Finally, Hooper would have the chance to mark his return to fitness with a winning goal. Outstanding work from Higgs out on the right saw him outmuscle two defenders and send a brilliant cross into Hooper’s path, but from just outside the six yard box, he failed to connect properly, and scuffed wide.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Sutherland, Johnson (Okoye), Holland (C), Raymond, Higgs, Porter, Wood, Brindley, Coulson, Hooper.

Unused substitutes: Dunne, Nakov (GK), Enver, Ogunmekan

Attendance: 1744 (192 Bromley supporters)

Sign up for our Newsletter