14 November 2020

Report: Barnet 1-3 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley made the trip to The Hive to take on a Barnet side who were full of confidence, having knocked League One Burton Albion out of the FA Cup six days previously.

It was the Ravens who started on the front foot though, and on 11 minutes, they would take the lead. An excellent, inswinging corner from Frankie Raymond met the run of Joe Kizzi on the edge of the six yard box, and he flicked beyond Scott Loach.

Barnet were keen to get back on level terms and almost did through debutant Anthony Wordsworth, but his powerful effort, which took a substantial deflection, was expertly tipped wide by former Bees goalkeeper Mark Cousins.

Reeco Hackett-Fairchild burst through the home defence on 23 minutes and struck a low effort from a tight angle, but Loach got down well to make the save.

However, two minutes later, Bromley had a second. Excellent play from Billy Bingham saw him cross for Michael Cheek on the edge of the box, who unselfishly played the outstanding James Alabi in on goal, and he made no mistake, marking his first competitive start for Bromley with a powerful finish.

Hackett-Fairchild went close twice more before the half was over, once firing inches wide after weaving his way into the box, and again deep into stoppage time, firing just over the crossbar from 25 yards.

It was more of the same in the second half, with Bromley dominating proceedings.

Their pressure would earn another goal on 57 minutes. Jerome Binnom-Williams was unable to clear his lines, and sliced a clearance into the path of Cheek, who, from the edge of the box, unleashed a stunning, first time volley, which nestled in the bottom corner.

Bromley were cruising, and could have made it four not long after. A slick counter attack, spearheaded by Hackett-Fairchild, ended in Raymond going through on goal, but after chipping Scott Loach, his effort was agonisingly wide.

The hosts weren’t giving up though, and pulled one back through Michael Petrasso on 68 minutes, a thumping effort from just inside the box.

However, the Ravens continued to attack, and almost scored again following a Raymond free kick which was spilled by Loach, but no blue shirts were on hand to prod home.

Cheek then headed into the turf and onto the roof of the net, before he repeated the act following a Kizzi cross seven minutes later.

Barnet continued to huff and puff but created little, with Wes Fonguck’s shot from the edge of the box going wide, and Alfie Pavey’s shot being well saved by Cousins.

Bromley went agonisingly close to making it four with moments of stoppage time left on the clock, but after Cheek’s volley deflected goalwards, it hit the unknowing Alabi on the line, and Barnet cleared to safety.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Bingham, Bush, Raymond, Cheek, Alabi, Hackett-Fairchild (Kyprianou), Roberts, Webster (C), Williamson

Unused substitutes: Holland, Purrington, Vincent, L’Ghoul

Sign up for our Newsletter