9 February 2019

Report: Barrow 1-1 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley’s trip to Cumbria sees them come from behind to pick up a point at Holker Street on a windy Saturday afternoon.

Barrow started the more attacking of the sides, and had a good chance in the opening minute. Port Vale loanee Dior Angus got his head to a well placed cross on the edge of the six yard box, but could only plant an effort on the roof of the net when he perhaps should have done better.

However, they weren’t to be denied on 15 minutes. Angus stormed into the box and saw a deflected shot parried onto the post by David Gregory, but after a cross was sent back into the box, the unfortunate Marc-Anthony Okoye stuck out a leg and diverted the ball past Gregory and into the net, with Angus possibly getting a touch to help it over the line.

Bromley looked to respond immediately, and after latching onto an excellent ball over the top from Frankie Sutherland, he took a touch and burst into the box, only for the recovering Sam Hird to block his shot.

Barrow would again go close to scoring, and this time the woodwork would deny them. Dan Jones stepped up to a 25 yard free kick, and send a dipping effort onto the crossbar, with Bromley breathing a sigh of relief.

After the break, it would be Bromley who took the game to their opponents, and would equalise on 54 minutes, not long after George Porter poked an effort inches wide. After being found by a Sam Wood throw in, Luke Coulson smashed a long ball into the box, where JJ Hooper timed his run perfectly to head past Joel Dixon, with the Barrow stopper clawing the effort out of goal, but only after it had crossed the line.

Substitute Dennon Lewis, making his Bromley debut, had an instant impact and helped Bromley create numerous chances. Firstly, after a mazy run saw him skip past three challenges, the former Falkirk man fed Omar Bugiel, but his shot from distance was high and wide.

He would then carve a chance of his own, as his sheer pace saw him race onto an excellent pass from Sutherland, before an exquisite first touch helped him beat Connor Brown, but his shot was straight at Dixon. He would then have a shot blocked after finding space on the edge of the box and picking up Hooper’s pass.

Barrow were still a threat however, and Luke Rooney reminded Bromley of that on 81 minutes, as his low shot from an angle whistled past the far post, with Gregory beaten. Not long after, Sam Wood prevented Barrow from taking the lead, as he blocked a Jacob Blyth shot on the line to deny the hosts a certain goal.

There would be time for two more Bromley chances though, as firstly another debutant, Jamie Philpot, latched onto a long ball in the box and lobbed Dixon, only to see the ball trickle across the six yard box and out for a goal kick. With just a minute left, Bugiel outmuscled Jones to make his way into the box and close his angle on goal, but was denied by a good save from Dixon as he looked to bury a low shot into the bottom corner.

The two sides would have to settle for a point after all, in what was a game of two halves.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Sutherland, Holland (C), Sarpong-Wiredu (Lewis) Raymond, Okoye, Porter (Philpot), Wood, Brindley, Coulson (Bugiel), Hooper.

Unused substitutes: Higgs, Goodman.

Attendance: 1,130 (45 away).

Sign up for our Newsletter