3 September 2016

Report: Barrow AFC 1-1 Bromley

  • Men's

Neil Smith’s men travelled to Holker Street on Saturday to face Barrow, a side they remained unbeaten against last season. The Ravens were looking to get two consecutive away wins in a row whilst putting aside their 5-0 home defeat on Bank Holiday Monday to Eastleigh.

An early chance fell to Barrows Lindon Meikle. The home side played their way through and Meikle was found in space hanging on the edge of the box but he fired his strike straight into the palms of Alan Julian.

Bromley then went close. Some great work from Max Porter gave Tobi Sho-Silva the chance to cross for Louis Dennis. The winger was in acres of space inside the box but he fired his left footed shot well wide of the post. Bromley controlled possession for some time and continued to get into the attacking third. Reece Prestedge had two opportunities, the first a weak right footed strike that was saved comfortably by Joel Dixon. The next was a left footed effort which was deflected behind for a corner.

Barrow wasted no time in getting their target men into the Bromley box from free-kicks and this almost gave a chance for Richard Bennett to open the scoring for the home side. The ball was knocked down at the far post, Bennett had time to control the ball and hit a strike towards the near post. Alan Julian was equal to it however and pushed the ball behind for a corner. Barrow then took the lead through a mistake from the Bromley defence. A slip in the backline from Rob Swaine let Byron Harrison through and he was calm once inside the box. One on one with Alan Julian, he fired the ball into the top left corner giving the home side the lead.

Joe Anderson then tried his luck from a free kick. He fired in an effort that looped just over Dixon’s crossbar. Bromley were then forced into a substitution with Louis Dennis taking a knock to his left knee, David Martin was the man to replace him just after the half hour mark.

Bromley had a large number of corners but failed to cause any problems and make any of these count. Richard Bennett had the last chance of the half with a left footed effort sent well wide.

The second half begun and Barrow were certainly the side on the front foot. Bennett missed a golden opportunity for the home side following a barrage of crosses into box but he couldn’t double The Bluebirds’ lead.

Dixon was then the saviour for Barrow after George Porter had been played in one on one. George was given space inside the box but the home sides shot stopper came out quickly and did just enough to avoid Bromley getting a goal back.

Alan Julian was then in the spotlight, he saved from a Williams and Harrison joint deflected effort, showing off some incredible reactions. Julian was on hand moments later to deny Anderton on the turn as he got down well to his right to push the ball away.

Then a moment of luck for Bromley, something the away side has been lacking in the past few weeks. Barrow were in control with a throw in being sent back towards Dixon. The throw was awkward and Dixon’s attempted clearance fell to Turgott who took a touch and then lobbed the Barrow goalkeeper from a considerable distance. The goal sent the drenched Bromley fans into delight and sent the game into a frenzied final five minutes.

Barrow were the dominant side in the final moments of the game having six corners in a row. From one of the latter ones Alfie Pavey headed away on the line to stop a goal direct from a corner. This clearance proved pivotal as Barrow pressed until the end but the home side failed to find a way past Bromley and the match ended in a draw.

Barrow XI: Dixon, Murray, Anderton, Livesey, Diarra, Meikle, Harvey, Hughes, Bennett, Harrison, Williams. Subs: Parry, Haworth, Hannah, Turnbull, Yates.

Bromley XI: Julian, Howe, Anderson, Chorley, Swaine, M.Porter, Prestedge, Dennis, G.Porter, Cunnington, Sho-Silva. Subs: Johnson, Martin, Turgott, Goldberg, Pavey.

Attendance: 1,096

Sign up for our Newsletter