7 November 2020

Report: Bromley 0-1 Yeovil Town (AET)

  • Men's

Bromley welcomed Yeovil Town to Hayes Lane for the First Round of the Emirates FA Cup.

After a lively opening few minutes, the first opportunity fell to The Ravens. A corner that was cleared found its way to Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, whose speculative volley flew just high of the bar. A good effort from the Portsmouth loanee, who was making his first start for Bromley this season.

Yeovil had their fair share of chances. Town captain, Carl Dickinson produced a dangerous cross which Mark Cousins palmed away to safety. Bromley’s second good opportunity of the game was called for offside. Frankie Raymond produced a sumptuous cross that Joe Kizzi headed, forcing an instinctive save from Adam Smith.

Soon after, Rhys Murphy charged down right side of the pitch and pulled the ball back for Matt Warbuton. The Yeovil midfielder created space from himself and powerfully shot just over the bar. Murphy was once again causing issues for the Bromley defence. This time, the Irish forward received the ball and shot just wide of Cousins’ left post. The visitors nearly took the lead, but were thwarted by some heroic defending from Ben Wiliamson. Charlie Lee’s goal bound effort was brilliantly hacked off the line from the Bromley forward as it was about to cross the line.

After a mistake from Kory Roberts, Murphy intercepted the ball in a promising position. Roberts caught up with the Yeovil frontman and pressured him to only producing a tame cross which Chris Bush cleared away.

The second half started and Yeovil were on the front foot once again. Warburton’s half volley shattered the cross bar. A lucky let off for The Ravens. After some great passes in midfield by the Bromley midfield, Hackett-Fairchild made a skilful run towards the right side of the field. The striker pulled the ball back for Williamson, whose pass found substitute Bingham for only the midfielder to shoot narrowly wide.

Suddenly, Murphy found himself in acres of space down the right hand side and crossed for fellow front man, former Bromley forward Joe Quigley, who could only shoot from an acute angle after Mark Cousins forced him away from goal.

The game then completely turned on its head when Harry Forster saw red for a late challenge on Luke Wilkinson. The Ravens were down to 10 men with just over 20 minutes remaining. Despite being down to 10 men, Bromley had a great chance to take the lead. Michael Cheek fired high and wide from Raymond’s corner from just yards out.

Cousins was called into action yet again, when Warburton fired in a low shot to force a great save from the goalkeeper. With minutes remaining of the game, Roberts produced a fantastic through ball to Cheek who only had the keeper to beat. The striker fired agonisingly wide.

After a frantic 90 minutes, the game headed into extra time. Despite being a man down, it was Bromley who nearly took the lead. After an awful mistake from the Yeovil defence, Cheek was through on goal and slotted the ball past Smith, for only a last ditch clearance from Morgan Williams to keep the score at 0-0. Minutes later, Yeovil had another golden opportunity. Charlie Lee’s dinked pass found Murphy, who’s powerful shot forced another brilliant save from Cousins. An end to end game to say the least.

In the second half of extra time, Bromley kept a resolute defence at times despite moments of pressure from Yeovil. After a corner from Yeovil late on into the game, the ball found its way to substitute Gabriel Rogers, who shot low from 20 yards to Cousins’ left side and scored with minutes remaining.

1 Mark Cousins, 2 Joe KIzzi, 3 Harry Kyprianou (Holland), 5 Chris Bush, 8 Frankie Raymond, 9 Michael Cheek, 11 Reeco Hackett-Fairchild (L’Ghoul), 14 Kory Roberts, 16 Liam Trotter (Bingham) , 18 Ben Williamson (Alabi), 19 Harry Forster.

Unused Subs: 12 Tom Purrington, 13 Tarek Najia, 20 Jude Arthurs

Report by Alex Exadactylos

Sign up for our Newsletter