24 November 2018

Report: Bromley 0-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

  • Men's

Neil Smith’s side took on Peter Taylor’s Dagenham & Redbridge looking to avenge last weekend’s defeat away at Leyton Orient.

The first real chance of the match fell to the visitors. A quick break down the right flank opened up the chance to cross into the box. Angelo Balanta was found free at the back post but he was unable to direct his header goal wards, with his effort going jut wide of the post.

Much of the opening 15 minutes was a scrappy affair, but the away side would soon take advantage of some poor Bromley defending. A corner from the right hand side was driven low into  the box, the Bromley defence failed to clear the effort and Conor Wilkinson was lurking in the box to stab into the net from 6-yards.

That set-back seemed to kick some life into the home side and they would go close through Barham, who was one of the livelier forces in the Bromley attack during the first-half. He picked the ball up on the edge of the box and struck a right-footed effort on goal, forcing a strong save out of Justham.

Bromley would go on to test the resilience of the Dagenham defence through a succession of free-kicks and corners. On most occasions the balls into the box were good, but the Ravens just couldn’t trouble Justham any further in the Dagenham goal.

Bromley went in at the break with much to deliberate, and Neil Smith would have certainly had some words back in the changing room.

But, it would be the same eleven that emerged for the second period and they went out with a new impetus it seemed. Whilst Bromley looked the better side, Dagenham would be the team that threaten the goal more.

Balanta, who continued to be a major threat for the Daggers, picked up the ball on the edge of the box and curled an effort goal-wards. Gregory was somewhat wrong footed but managed to claim the strike at the second attempt.

Bromley then made their first change, with George Porter entering the field of play to replace John Goddard – who had looked very astute in his play. Porter would register Bromley’s first real chance of the half, however. A corner was whipped in from the right, and Porter rose the highest to meet it. But the newly introduced forward couldn’t angle his header on target.

Bromley would continue to threaten with the next attempt coming from Marc-Anthony Okoye. Playing in central midfield once again, he drifted in at the far post and struck a left footed effort just wide of the far post.

Okoye continue to be a potent threat in the second half and would have two more opportunities in very quick succession. The first was a spectacular volley from 20-yards which produced a fine save out of Dagenham’s goalkeeper, Elliot Justham. Okoye would then go close from the resulting corner, curling an effort wide of the right hand post.

For all of Bromley’s chances the fact remained the same, they couldn’t find the back of the net. And further woes were induced when Dagenham scored their second. A throw-in from the right wasn’t dealt with, Balanta sneaked through the box to prod a finish low into the left corner.

Bromley continued to push right until the end, with a Brindley strike once again saved well by Justham. But the Ravens were unable to get any consolations in the game, the away side leaving Hayes Lane with all three points.

Full-Time: Bromley 0-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

Bromley XI: Gregory, Brindley, Holland, Johnson (Higgs 85′), Wood, Okoye, Sutherland, Ogedi-Uzokwe, Goddard (Porter 53′), Barham, Quigley (Mekki 60′).

Unused subs: Goodman, Rooney

Attendance: 1,162 (202 away)

Sign up for our Newsletter