10 April 2021

Report: Bromley 1-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

  • Men's

Bromley welcomed Dagenham & Redbridge to Hayes Lane on Saturday afternoon, with the Ravens looking to avenge a 1-0 defeat at Victoria Road back in February.

Though it was the visitors who started the more attacking of the two sides, it would be Bromley who had the first opportunity. Three minutes in, former Dagger Frankie Raymond intercepted a loose ball in the middle of the park and lined up a shot, dragging it narrowly wide.

Dagenham continued to apply pressure to the Bromley back line, but the Ravens held firm, and scored a breakaway goal to take the lead. After being well found by Raymond, fellow ex-Dagenham man Michael Cheek took the ball in his stride and fired past former team mate Elliott Justham at his near post with aplomb with 33 minutes on the clock.

Bromley had to remain alert as half time drew closer, with a dangerous George Saunders delivery missing all the red shirts in the box and creeping towards goal, but for a fantastic save from yet another former Dagenham & Redbridge player, Mark Cousins.

The Ravens were subjected to yet another defensive injury early on in the second half, as Jack Holland, who was making his first start since a return from injury, was forced off and replaced by Jude Arthurs.

Arthurs almost made an instant impact, as he chased the ball to the byeline and pulled it back across goal, only for a deflection to divert it away from the waiting Cheek.

Cousins had to be alert once again after 65 minutes, as he did well to parry Angelo Balanta’s low effort away from the danger zone. Minutes later, came Dagenham’s best chance of the second half. Substitute Mauro Vilhete reached a Saunders cross at the back post and headed beyond Cousins, only for Chris Bush to make a well timed, last ditch clearance off the line.

Eight minutes from time, came another good chance for the visitors as they continued to attack, wave after wave. Paul McCallum went so close to pulling the scores level, but was denied by a wonderful, one handed save from Cousins, who reacted impeccably to get down to his right.

On 85 minutes, the Ravens went on a slick counter attack, with Cheek finding substitute James Alabi. Justham was wrong footed, but did well to adjust his footing and save Alabi’s low shot.

The Ravens managed to hold on through four minutes of additional time, although Luke Coulson was given his marching orders with three minutes still on the clock.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Fox, Bush (C), Holland (Arthurs), Raymond, Cheek, Maloney, Williamson (Alabi), Vincent (Coulson), Bridge

Unused substitutes: Duffus, Wakefield

Sign up for our Newsletter