26 September 2020

Report: Bromley 1-1 Dulwich Hamlet (1-3 pens)

  • Men's

Bromley entertained local neighbours Dulwich Hamlet at Hayes Lane on a cold Saturday afternoon, debuting the new 2020/21 season home kit.

Korrey Henry was the first to go close for the away side, as the former Bromley man took a volley from the edge of the box out of nothing, which looked to catch Mark Cousins out, but the Bromley custodian was alert to it and made a smart save.

The Ravens would have the ball in the net, as Michael Cheek drifted in at the back post and headed beyond James Pardington, but with the linesman’s flag raised, it wouldn’t count.

Dulwich took advantage not long after, as an accidental clash between Chris Bush and Frankie Raymond led to Tyrique Hyde gaining possession and weaving in and out of challenges into the box, before the ball ricocheted off Jack Holland and beyond Mark Cousins for an own goal.

Bromley should have been allowed the chance to equalise just shy of the half hour mark, but after Cheek was fouled flicking the ball onto Ben Williamson, the referee failed to play the advantage and pulled it back for a free kick, despite Williamson sending a first time volley into the bottom corner.

However, six minutes later, the Ravens were level. An excellent corner from Frankie Raymond was flicked on by Cheek in the six yard box, with the final touch coming off Byron Webster for his first Bromley goal.

As half time approached, the Hamlet had Pardington to thank for keeping the scores level. Williamson was allowed space to turn in the box and fire a powerful effort at goal, which was well saved at point blank range by the Dulwich stopper.

The second saw less chances shared between the two sides. The closest the visitors came would be Michael Timlin’s tame free kick, which was straight into the arms of Cousins.

Bromley themselves had two good chances, the first of which saw the impressive Harry Forster try and catch Pardington out from the edge of the box, but the winger’s dipping effort was well dealt with by Pardington at his near post.

Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made a welcome return back into Bromley colours midway through the second half and almost capped it with a goal. After cutting inside with some nice footwork, his low effort was tipped wide at the near post by Pardington.

With nothing to separate the two sides at 90 minutes, the match went to penalties for the third consecutive season.

Chris Bush stepped up first for Bromley and scored with a well placed effort. However, after Pardington saved efforts from Raymond and Hackett-Fairchild and Michael Cheek missed the target with the visitors scoring all of theirs, Dulwich saw it through to claim the Glyn Beverly Memorial Cup 3-1 on penalties, with the away team in the fixture being victorious for the third season in a row.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Bingham, Bush, Holland (C), Coulson (Hackett-Fairchild), Raymond, Cheek, Webster, Williamson (Alabi), Forster

Unused substitutes: Najia, Purrington, Roberts, Trialist A, Tanner, Vincent, Allen

Sign up for our Newsletter