8 October 2016

Report: Bromley 1-1 Lincoln City

  • Men's

Bromley entertained high flyers Lincoln City in dreary conditions at Hayes Lane on Saturday, with both sides coming into the game on the back of a victory, having both won their previous National League fixture 2-1.

In the opening three minutes, City had ‘keeper Paul Farman to thank for keeping the scoreline level, as he reacted well to dive down to his left and turn Rob Swaine’s powerful shot around the post. Five minutes later, Adam Cunnington headed over the bar after good wing play from Blair Turgott.

As the playing surface became more slippery, Swaine had to rely on an excellent save at the other end, as he sliced a Lincoln cross towards goal from close range, but Alan Julian reacted impeccably to save it, tipping it out for a corner. From the resultant corner, former Dover Athletic defender Sean Raggett headed narrowly wide.

After nearly half an hour of half chances for both sides, and five bookings, Tobi Sho-Silva slid in to meet Turgott’s free kick, but diverted the ball wide. As half time approached, Dave Martin collected Turgott’s short corner and worked his way towards goal, but shot low and wide.

However, after dominating the first half without a goal to show for it, Bromley fell behind just a minute into the second. Harry Anderson was allowed too much room to run into, and from just outside the penalty area, he produced a low shot towards Julian’s far post, which hit the upright and rolled into the net.

Bromley started the second half slowly, and it could have been 2-0 after 52 minutes, but Jack Muldoon tested Julian with a fierce drive towards goal, but the Bromley stopper was able to make a superb fingertip save and tip it wide.

Cunnington was unlucky not to level things up just after the hour mark having seen his header fly over the crossbar, but Turgott did just that five minutes later. After excellent play, weaving his way in and out of defenders, Turgott produced a low, curling shot which took a small deflection before nestling in the bottom corner. Lincoln again went close with twenty minutes left, as Luke Waterfall’s looping header had Julian beaten, but could only find the roof of the net.

Swaine was once again denied by an excellent Farman save, as he nodded Joe Anderson’s free-kick towards goal, but saw his effort superbly saved on the line by the visiting goalkeeper. Farman yet again saved his side’s skin as he bravely advanced to block Dan Ajakaiye’s one on one effort.

As time drew on, City managed to weather the Bromley storm and came away with a point. Although this is an impressive result for Bromley, they will have been frustrated not to have taken all three, and will rue several missed chances, albeit in a superb team performance.

Report by Matt Hall – @bfc_announcer

Bromley XI: Julian, Howe, Johnson, Swaine, Martin (Ajakaiye), Cunnington (Holland), Anderson ©, Higgs, Prestedge (Minshull), Turgott, Sho-Silva

Subs not used: Dymond, Huxter (GK)

Sign up for our Newsletter