21 October 2017

Report: Bromley 2-0 Woking

  • Men's

Bromley recorded their second consecutive home victory in the space of a week, as well as another clean sheet, with two first half goals sealing the points.

In windy, and at times wet conditions at the H2T Group Stadium, the two sides battled against the conditions as well as each other. Whilst the first half didn’t see a lot of action early on, the end of the first 45 was quite different.

Bromley’s first chance inadvertently came from a Woking player, after Luke Wanadio fired in a low cross and it seemed to be making its way towards goal, provoking a defender into sliding in and putting it over the bar, but only just.

The breakthrough came on 42 minutes for the Ravens. Despite playing against the wind, Jack Holland timed a jump perfectly to meet an Adam Mekki free kick with his head, and just about get enough power to see it over the line, past the diving Nathan Baxter.

Around a minute after, Joe Ward went very close to equalising for the Cards, but after jinking his way in an out of challenges and getting into a good position in the Bromley box, he saw his low effort well saved by the feet of David Gregory.

The late first half drama was not going to end there either. On the stroke of half time, an almost identical set piece was taken by Mekki again, and this time, it was Josh Rees who rose to meet the lofted delivery, and head past the despairing Baxter.

After the break, and Woking would see themselves up against it even more so than before. Around a minute into the second half, Kane Ferdinand was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Jordan Higgs, to give the visitors an even higher mountain to climb.

A few minutes later, Rees, who must have covered every corner of the pitch thus far, ran onto a dangerous cross from Wanadio, but this time, headed just wide. Around 15 minutes before the end, having made all three substitutes, Bromley also saw themselves down to ten men, as Roger Johnson picked up a knock and could not see out the remainder of the game.

The visitors pushed for a route back in the game, but only created one more chance of note. The ever testing Ward hit a curling effort from outside of the penalty area which was destined for the bottom corner, but for the intervention of Gregory, who flew through the air and made a superb one handed save to tip it away from danger.

Attendance: 1,577 (251 away supporters). Thank you all for your support! Don’t forget we’re at home on Tuesday, 24th October, against Maidenhead United KO 7:45pm.


Sign up for our Newsletter