12 July 2016

Match Report: Bromley 2-1 Charlton Athletic

  • Men's

Bromley welcomed a strong Charlton Athletic side to Hayes Lane on Tuesday night, with new manager Russell Slade including all three of his recent signings in his match squad, with two completely different starting XIs in each half.

Adam Cunnington had the first real chance of the match for Bromley early on. After good wing play and a pinpoint cross from Dave Martin, the target man headed past Stephen Henderson, only for a defender to react sharply to clear the ball off the line. Cunnington went close once again minutes later, but another combination between him and Martin ended with the former sending a header just wide. After 14 minutes, Bromley took a deserved lead. A fantastic through ball from Conor Dymond was latched onto by George Porter, who finished expertly from an angle following a surging run, despite Henderson’s best efforts. Porter went close soon after his goal, but his close range header from Cunnington’s flick on was easily fielded by Henderson. Bromley’s lead was soon doubled. After a poor tackle from Chris Solly, Bromley were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. Up stepped Blair Turgott, and the wing man curled a delightful effort to the right of the diving Henderson. Charlton’s first chance of note came just after the half hour mark, when new signing Nicky Ajose found himself through on goal with only Julian to beat, but fired his effort wide. He was again a threat for Charlton moments later, but after superb work from Josh Umerah, Ajose’s scuffed effort was comfortably dealt with by Julian. A completely new Charlton side was fielded in the second half, other than Ajose.

The Addicks nearly drew level just two minutes into the second half, as Emmanuel Sonupe’s shot from just inside the area forced a good save from Julian, before the same man drilled a fierce effort across goal and wide. Sonupe continued to cause havoc in the Bromley penalty area, but saw a powerful effort fly just off target. Cunnington’s aerial prowess continued to threaten, but following a whipped cross from Jack Sammoutis, he headed inches wide. Charlton continued to press forwards, and after 63 minutes, Andrew Crofts nearly halved the deficit, but couldn’t hit the target from a tight angle. Moments after he entered the fray, Brandon Hanlan made his mark, smashing home from close range following a corner to reduce the arrears. Minutes before full time, Morgan Fox stung the palms of Bromley substitute goalkeeper Joe Taylor, but the young stopper did well to hold the powerful free kick. Yet, the visitors were unable to level things up, and resolute defending from Bromley saw them through to a deserved 2-1 victory.

Report by Matt Hall – @bfc_announcer

Bromley: Julian (Taylor 85’), Howe (Udoji 75’), Anderson (Chorley 65’), Holland (Williams 85’), Johnson, Prestedge (Sammoutis 53’), Dymond (Stanic-Stewart 70’), Martin (Hoare 60’), Turgott (O’Connor 60’), G. Porter (Goldberg 55’), Cunnington (Oyinsan 65’) Subs: Chorley, Udoji, Goldberg, O’Connor, Sammoutis, Oyinsan, Hoare, Williams, Stanic-Stewart, Taylor (GK)

Charlton Athletic (1st Half): Henderson, Solly, Holmes-Dennis, Jackson, Johnson, Konsa, Harriott, Muldoon, Ajose, Ceballos, Umerah

Charlton Athletic (2nd Half): Pope, Holmes, Buxton, Teixeira, Fox, Foley, Sonupe, Watt, Crofts, Ajose (Hanlan 59’), Hanlan

Sign up for our Newsletter