7 September 2019

Report: Bromley 2-1 Chesterfield

  • Men's

Bromley extended their unbeaten run to ten games, following a hard-earned victory over Chesterfield.

Bromley had chances in the first 15 minutes, after making a positive start. The Ravens’ first big chance was from Frankie Raymond’s corner, where the ball met Marc-Anthony Okoye’s head at the back post, however it wasn’t directed close enough to goal and he headed into the side netting. Twelve minutes later, Bromley took the lead after Luke Coulson made a well timed cross into the direction of Michael Cheek, who was quick to leap into the air and get a touch and put it behind Chesterfield goalkeeper, Luke Coddington.

Cheek very nearly scored again a minute later after the Spireites lost possession at the back, in which he intercepted the ball following a loose backpass and ran at goal, however his first touch was too heavy and Coddington was able to close him down and make the save. Bromley continued to dominate in the first half when Frankie Raymond used great skill and flicked the ball over the defender, before striking a volley from 20 yards out, however Coddington managed to make the save with his feet. Reeco Hackett-Fairchild was there to meet the rebound, but blazed over the crossbar with the flag raised for offside.

The first half finished with Cheek’s goal being the difference between the two sides, following a composed display from the ravens.

Another Raymond corner produced the first chance for the Ravens in the second half, but no one was able to get on the end of the ball. Charlton Athletic Loanee Alfie Doughty made a huge impact once he came on, creating space and troubling the Chesterfield defence. However, the Spireites showed how they could take the Bromley defence by surprise, when they scored with one of their first chances of the game. Liam Mandeville struck an excellent volley following a lofted ball into the box, which sailed into the top corner.

Without giving the Spireites a chance to compose themselves, Bromley scored a minute after Chesterfield’s equaliser. When Cheek got his head on the end of a long ball and managed to loop a header over the dive of Coddington. However, Cheek suffered a head injury from a clash with Will Evans in the air, with a banging of heads meaning that he had to come off. He was replaced by Jack Holland, meaning Bromley didn’t have a recognised striker on the field.

On 66 minutes, Doughty did well to retain possession after being tackled, before threading a pass to Hackett-Fairchild who was bursting into the box. He took his shot early, but Coddington made the save, with Cheek unable to get to the rebound. Chesterfield reminded Bromley of their threat two minutes later, when Mike Fondop’s jump saw him hang in the air for an age and send a looping header across goal and inches wide. Doughty was in the thick of the action and very nearly made it three not long after, when Michael Klass held up play and fed the ball to him, and dribbled through the defence from a wide position, however from a tight angle Doughty crossed the ball, but no one was able to convert the ball goalward.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Wood, Okoye (C), Coulson, Raymond, Cheek (Holland) Bingham, Bush, Hackett-Fairchild (Klass), Rees (Doughty)

Unused substitutes: Mekki, Henry

Attendance: 2,110

Sign up for our Newsletter