31 July 2021

Report: Bromley 3-0 Crystal Palace U23s

  • Men's

Bromley scored three second half goals to beat Crystal Palace U23s in their penultimate pre-season friendly.

Bromley manager Andy Woodman made one change to the team that faced Arsenal U23s on Tuesday. Sam Skeffington made his debut and replaced Marcus Sablier. Woodman named 13 players on the bench.

There were several trialists on show. Woodman again started a trialist and named another eight on the bench. Meanwhile, Palace also started one trialist and had two on the bench.

The first meaningful chance of the game came after 10 minutes, Michael Cheek did well to hold the ball up, he laid it off to Duffus, whose shot was blocked.

Bromley’s best chance of the half fell to Liam Trotter on the edge of the area, whose shot went just past the post.

Cousins made a couple of comfortable saves after around a quarter of an hour but wasn’t troubled.

Palace’s best chance of the half came just before half time as Cousins had to be alert to make a good save from the Palace trialist.

Bromley also had a couple of chances themselves before the half ended, Whitworth was forced into action, after slightly tame efforts from Arthurs and Coulson. While Skeffington’s effort went over and hit the back of the stand.

The game opened up a bit before half time with a little flurry of chances, but overall, there were not many big chances. Both teams had a very similar style, as they looked to build from the back and play through balls. They cancelled each other out for most of the half.

HT: 0-0

The first chance of the second half came 10 minutes into the half as Partington got a header on goal at the back post and Whitworth was at full stretch to get a hand to it.

Just before the hour mark, a well worked move, ended with Coulson putting an inviting cross in from the edge of the box on the right, but his cross was headed well wide at the back post.

Then a couple of minutes later, a free kick from Coulson, from long range, worried the keeper, but went just past the post.

Midway through the second half, the deadlock was broken. It was a well worked move, the ball was played out to the right wing, an inviting, low cross was played into the middle by Trialist I and Michael Cheek was on hand with a nice finish from about six yards out. 1-0

Partington sent a ball into the box for Bromley which caused the Palace keeper and defence some problems, but they eventually managed to clear it away.

Bromley made eight changes with just over 15 minutes to go.

With just over 10 minutes to go, two trialists combined, Bromley were alert to capitalise on a loose ball and take it into the box. The ball was laid off to Trialist I, who calmly slotted the ball into the net. 2-0

Bromley had another chance just after the restart, but the ball was headed over.

The Palace keeper was forced into action after a powerful shot from long range, but Whitworth dealt well with it.

With five minutes left, Fisher struck a powerful effort towards goal, but it was straight at the Palace keeper. The rebound was blazed over from close range.

The last action of the game was a goal. A nice cross was chipped in and Trialist I was again on hand to head home at the near post for his second goal of the game, making it 3-0.

Bromley’s National League season is just around the corner, getting underway on Saturday 21st August at home to Grimsby in front of the BT Sport cameras, kickoff 5:20pm.

Bromley starting XF: Cousins (GK), Partington, Trotter, Trialist A, Coulson, Arthurs, Cheek, Duffus, Webster, Whitely, Skeffington

Report by Matthew Hill

Sign up for our Newsletter