28 December 2019

Report: Bromley 3-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

  • Men's

Bromley returned to winning ways on Saturday afternoon as they secured a 3-0 home win over Dagenham & Redbridge thanks to goals from Michael Cheek, Luke Coulson and Josh Rees.

The Ravens, who were aiming to bounce back from back-to-back league defeats, welcomed a side who found themselves occupying 17th place going into the clash at Hayes Lane.

Bromley made two changes from the side that lost 3-0 away at Dover Athletic on Boxing Day with Chris Bush and Rees replacing Jack Holland and Adam Mekki.

The first chance of the game fell to Dagenham on five minutes after a cross from the right eventually fell to Reece Grant whose strike from close range was quite brilliantly saved by Ryan Huddart.

The Daggers number 14 was at it again just two minutes later after he latched onto another ball from the right, heading just over the bar.

The Ravens should have opened the scoring on 24 minutes when Coulson’s corner found Joe Kizzi in the box but his header was well saved by Elliot Justham.

Just moments later, the corner taker nearly scored himself as his volley from distance whistled just wide of the post.

With 35 minutes on the clock, Bromley had another chance to break the dead-lock as Frankie Raymond floated in a dangerous ball which was headed wide by Cheek.

Rees posed a real attacking threat in the first half and had two chances in quick succession saved by Elliot Justham from close range in the latter stages of the first period.

The Ravens’ string of efforts paid off though as they opened the scoring just before the break as Coulson found Cheek in the box with a driven cross, and the former Dagger did well to flick a header past the Dagenham ‘keeper.

It proved to be the final piece of attacking threat in the first half as Bromley held on to return to the changing rooms a goal to the good.

The majority of the second half was very quiet on the attacking front with neither side really looking like rustling the back of the net up until the 80th minute.

Andrew Eleftheriou picked up the first booking of the game just past the hour mark after barging Coulson off the ball down the right flank.

Cheers rang round Hayes Lane on 71 minutes as Reeco Hackett-Fairchild returned to action after a long spell out, replacing Ben Williamson.

Soon after, Bromley nearly added a second after Coulson let rip from the edge of the box but his effort deflected high and wide.

However, with seven minutes remaining, they did get a second as Hackett-Fairchild’s cross eventually fell to Coulson on the edge of the six yard box, and he blasted the ball into the top corner.

The hosts weren’t done there though as Rees added to their tally, heading home from close range with two minutes remaining to seal the victory.

Bromley XI: Huddart, Kizzi, Wood, Winfield, Coulson, Cheek (Coker), Bingham, Bush, Williamson (Hackett-Fairchild), Rees (Higgs)

Subs not used: Klass, Najia (GK)

Attendance: 2,312 (195 away)

Report by Josh Tindall

Sign up for our Newsletter