26 November 2016

Report: Bromley 3-0 York City

  • Men's

Bromley welcomed an out of form York City side to Hayes Lane on Saturday afternoon, in cold and breezy conditions.

Bromley started the game in an attacking fashion, and took the lead with their very first attempt, which came after just five minutes. Blair Turgott’s inswinging free kick was met by the head of a stooping Jack Holland, and the Ravens’ captain flicked a header into the bottom corner, beyond the reach of Letheren.

However, City reminded Bromley of their threat when they broke down the right and into the penalty area, before the ball fell into the path of Robbie McDaid, whose shot deflected off one of his team mates and agonisingly for them both, rolled just past the post and out for a goal kick. Jake Charles continued York’s search for an equaliser, after beating his man and racing into the penalty area, before eventually dragging a low shot wide of the post. The away side continued to up the pressure as Bromley relaxed, and Charlie Cooper must have thought he’d levelled things up in the 19th minute, but his flicked header bounced off the inside of the upright and stayed out by the narrowest of margins, with Alan Julian stranded.

However, it was Bromley who would score next, and George Porter was the man to do it. After outpacing his man to run onto Dave Martin’s excellent through ball, the former Leyton Orient man produced a low finish from an angle, which had Letheren beaten.
Turgott should have had the game wrapped up minutes later, but after cutting in from the wing in swift fashion, he curled a shot wide. He went close again as half time drew near, but after a ball ricocheted into his path at speed just yards from goal, he was unable to react in time to tap home. Moments after, a game of pinball in the Bromley penalty area was not capitalised on by York, and the home side were able to block several attempts on goal and eventually clear the ball.

The entertaining nature of the game continued, and after 43 minutes, Letheren parried a long range effort into the path of Tobi Sho-Silva, but the frontman was unable to stabilise himself in order to find the required power, and Letheren managed to parry his weakened effort wide. In added time, Sho-Silva found himself through on goal, but unfortunately saw his angled effort easily saved by the visiting stopper.

After the break, it was more of the same to begin with, as Holland again found himself in the thick of the action, but this time scuffed a shot into the side netting from the tightest of angles after Letheren failed to claim a header. At the other end, Danny Holmes blasted an angled volley over after some neat build up play.

The Ravens nearly added a second, but after Martin went through on goal and squared the ball across goal, Turgott hit a powerful shot on the turn which was superbly tipped over the bar by Letheren. The City goalkeeper repeated his heroics from the resulting corner, this time tipping Holland’s looping header over. Once again though, a game of pinball in the Bromley area somehow ended in the ball being cleared, as Charles was denied by a combination of Bromley players on the goal line.

However, after 78 minutes, Bromley did manage to increase their advantage. Turgott’s inswinging corner was met by the head of the unmarked Adam Cunnington, who had only been on the field a matter of minutes. Despite Letheren getting a touch to the ball, he was unable to stop the header from nestling in the bottom corner. The match then marked the much anticipated return of Louis Dennis, who was given an ovation when he replaced the impressive Porter. Bromley saw out the final few minutes and held out for their third National League clean sheet of the season.

Report by Matt Hall – @bfc_announcer

Bromley XI: Julian, Johnson, Swaine (Chorley), Holland ©, Martin, Minshull, Porter (Dennis), Dymond, Anderson, Turgott, Sho-Silva (Cunnington)
Unused subs: Wynter, Higgs.

Sign up for our Newsletter