9 July 2019

Report: Bromley 3-1 Welling United

  • Men's

The first chance came to Bromley within the four-minute mark, with Joe Kizzi’s head getting a good connection with Frankie Raymond’s corner, but just going over the bar. 2 Minutes later, Welling took the lead with former Bromley man Anthony Cook chipping Mark Cousins who was left deserted in the box.

Bromley were under pressure at times in the first 20 minutes, particularly when Jay Rich Baghuelou’s shot rolled wide after Swaine’s header fell into his path. Bromley were awarded a penalty after Michael Cheek was forced over inside the box. Seconds later, Bromley equalised just after the 25-minute mark following Raymond’s conversion from the spot with a cool, calm and collected finish.  Welling had a great chance after Anderson played an amazing lobbed pass through to Cook, timed to perfection. Cook tried to lob Cousins for the second time, but it went just over the bar.

It was a goal apiece at the break, with Welling’s counter-attacking play shaking the Bromley defence more than once in the half. Bromley’s passing fell short a number of times, with the final product missing in the final third.

At the break, the Ravens made two changes with George Porter coming off for Luke Coulson and Marc-Anthony Okoye who was replaced by Jack Holland.

Bromley made a promising start to the second half, including a combination of passing in an attempt to unlock the defence of Welling. Bromley’s hard work paid off 6 minutes after the break, when Raymond’s corner met the head of Joe Kizzi, leaving the goalkeeper Wilks rooted to his line as the ball deflected past him and into the net. Bromley had a range of chances, including a ball across the ground to Henry, but it came to nothing as he fired it over the bar.

A collection of substitutions gave youthful energy to the game, resulting in a goal for Trialist D after he cut inside the box, using skill, and found the net by curling the ball into the bottom corner just inside the box. Another chance came for Bromley on the counter-attack through a long throw by Cousins, catapulting the attack up the pitch before a shot from Trialist F fired well wide.

Minutes later, a Aaron Cosgrove went one on one with Cousins but just hits the post, however, the ball rebounded off of the post to the direction of Julien Anau, but he lacked composure, and blazed well over the bar. The youthful Bromley side attacked moments later, this time with Ollie Tanner driving into the box, with speed and tight control but failed to get the ball into the net, as it rolled inches wide.

The game ended 3-1 to Bromley, with an improved display from the Ravens in the second half.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi (Trialist), Okoye © (Holland), Higgs (Dunne), Raymond (Tanner), Cheek (Trialist), Clifton (Henry), Porter (Coulson), Hackett-Fairchild (Trialist), Bush (Ojemen), Trialist (Trialist)

Unused substitutes: Trialist, Ogunmekan, Brefo

Welling United first half XI:

Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine ©, Baghuelou, Cook, Rooney, Coombes, Goldberg, Green

Welling United second half XI:

Beeney, Platt, Johnson, Prestedge, Okuonghae, Baghuelou, Allen, Agyemang, Cosgrove, Anau, Chambers

Substitutes: Bizma, England

Report written by Paddy Gray

Sign up for our Newsletter