27 October 2020

Report: Bromley 3-2 Weymouth

  • Men's

Bromley won for the third time this season after defeating visitors, Weymouth 3-2 at Hayes Lane.

Kick off commenced and it was Bromley who threatened to score early on. Harry Forster took on the Weymouth defence and produced a dangerous cross for only the Weymouth back line to clear for a Bromley corner. Weymouth’s first chance of the game fell to Andy Robinson, who shot straight at Mark Cousins from distance. 

However, it would be the Terras who would go on to dominate proceedings early on. Midway through the first half, it was them who took the lead. Josh Leslie-Smith produced a fine cross for Josh Wakefield to run onto and score with a well placed first time effort. However, Bromley were not going to go down without a fight and had the opportunity to equalise when Josh McQuoid produced a clumsy foul on Williamson inside the penalty area. Cheek stepped up and equalised for The Ravens, sending Jack Bycroft the wrong way.

As the half was coming to an end, Cousins saved well from a goalmouth scramble inside the Bromley box, with Leslie-Smith poking goalwards.

Bromley started the second half very positively. Forster produced a brilliant, arced run, weaving his way past the Weymouth defence and crossed in for Nassim L’Ghoul to give Bromley a 2-1 lead from close range. It was the French midfielder’s first goal for Bromley. Bromley nearly made it three just moments later, when Chris bush forced a great save from Jack Bycroft from a dipping free kick. 

Weymouth had a golden opportunity to equalise when the ball found its way to Tom Whelan, who placed his effort high and wide of the Bromley goal when he could have done better. Bromley then hit Weymouth on the counter, as the game reached beyond the hour mark. Luke Coulson surged forward and passed to Harry Kyprianou, but with Bromley four against one, he could only shoot to Bycroft’s arms. Bromley’s momentum continued and minutes later the hosts capitalised. L’Ghoul rose high and headed back superbly for Williamson who placed his curled effort from distance to Bycroft’s left. A fine finish and assist to say the least. 

As the game was coming to an end, Bromley nearly let their second half dominance slip when Weymouth were awarded a penalty, following a foul from Coulson. Whelan converted the penalty kick coolly, sending his penalty into middle of the goal. A nervy few minutes followed, when Ollie Harfield’s shot looked to be heading on target, but for a deflection to force a Weymouth corner. The Terras kept on attacking as four minutes of injury time were signalled, but a resilient Bromley defence kept the visitors at bay. A much needed win for Bromley who welcome Eastleigh to Hayes Lane on Saturday. 

1 Mark Cousins, 3 Harry Kyprianou, 5 Chris Bush, 7 Luke Coulson, 9 Michael Cheek (Holland), 14 Kory Roberts, 15 Taylor Maloney, 16 Liam Trotter, 18 Ben Williamson, 19 Harry Forster (Alabi), 24 Nassim L’Ghoul (Hackett-Fairchild) 

Unused Subs: 8 Frankie Raymond,12 Tom Purrington

Report by Alex Exadactylos

Sign up for our Newsletter