10 August 2019

Report: Bromley 3-3 Torquay United

  • Men's

Bromley’s second home game in less than a week ended in an entertaining draw with Torquay United, largely due to difficult weather conditions.

Bromley made an blistering start to the game, after a free kick taken by Frankie Raymond drifted onto the head of Jack Holland, where the skipper got just about enough not the ball to direct it into beyond Shaun MacDonald and into the net. Bromley came close to doubling their lead soon after, as Ben Wynter slipped, allowing Luke Coulson to advance into the box. Despite a tight angle and not many options, Coulson shot low across goal, but the goalkeeper got a touch on the ball, before it was cleared.

Torquay’s first shot on target came from a free kick. Jake Andrews shot from 25 yards out, however Mark Cousins was able to make an simple save.

Yet, just after the half hour mark, a penalty was awarded after a 50/50 challenge inside the box involving Coulson and Connor Lemonheigh-Evans. The spot kick was taken by Jamie Reid and slammed into the back of the net, despite Cousins getting a hand to the ball. Moments later, in a period of chaos, the Ravens conceded an indirect free-kick, just outside the six-yard box, after Cousins picked up a supposed back pass. The indirect free-kick was blasted at goal, but Cousins was quick to come off of his line and the 11 Ravens blocked the shot and cleared.

The Ravens retook the lead just before the break, after an initial header from Holland hit the bar, only for Joe Kizzi to be the first to the rebound, prodding home.

In the second half, Bromley came close to making it three following a good hold up play from Kizzi, who put Coulson one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but he was unable to keep his shot down, blasting over the crossbar. Chris Bush went on a mazy run 10 minutes into the second half, getting the ball and skipping past two challenges. He then pulled the trigger from 25 yards out, but he was unlucky not to get the ball on target as it fell inches wide.

Reeco Hackett-Fairchild also came close, when Raymond played the ball to him in a wide position. He used good footwork to get past his man and create space for a shot. He was unlucky not to score, with his curling effort fizzing just over the crossbar.

Minutes later, Torquay got their equaliser. Bromley failed to clear the ball from a cross, and Connor Lemonheigh-Evans got a first time shot off, finishing well. Torquay then took the lead minutes later after another ball across the face of goal saw Jake Andrews left unmarked at the back post, and he was able to steer the ball into the goal.

The goals kept coming, as Bromley equalised around a minute later after. A a corner taken by Raymond evaded everyone and curled into the net, with MacDonald unable to reach it.

The Ravens nearly took the lead when Michael Cheek played the ball into the path of Coulson with an well timed and weighted pass, opening up the Torquay defence, but after Coulson went one-on-one with the goalkeeper he was unable to direct the ball goalwards, slotting it wide.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Wood, Holland (C), Coulson (Mekki), Raymond, Cheek, Bingham, Bush, Porter (Clifton), Hackett-Fairchild (Higgs)

Unused substitutes: Okoye, Klass

Attendance: 1398

Sign up for our Newsletter