8 April 2017

Report: Bromley 4-3 Wrexham

  • Men's

Bromley entertained fellow mid table side Wrexham at a Sunny Hayes Lane on Saturday, with the visitors starting the game two points ahead of the Ravens.

It was the Welsh outfit who would have the first chance of the game. After good work from Iffy Allen, the former Torquay United man put a low cross into the six yard box on a plate for Izale McLeod, but the striker somehow put a first time effort over the bar when he should have done better.

Bromley punished Wrexham minutes later, as Tobi Sho-Silva’s persistence saw him cut in from the left wing before narrowing down his angle on goal, and shooting, before seeing his effort deflect off a defender and loop into the net, beyond the reach of Shwan Jalal.

Just twelve minutes later it was 2-0, and Jordan Higgs was the man to score for Bromley this time. The youngster took down a high ball which had bounced off the turf and let fly with a well placed volley from 25 yards, which left Jalal static.

It certainly wasn’t all one way traffic, however, and the Reds’ Paul Rutherford reminded Bromley of that, when he stung the palms of Ross Flitney with a long range drive, which the Bromley stopper managed to tip over the crossbar.

After the break, it took just three minutes for Bromley to extend their lead, and it was Sho-Silva who would score it, to take his tally to three goals in two games. The hard working forward chased a long ball forwards and went clean through on goal with only Jalal to beat, and he did so, via a slight touch from the ‘keeper’s hand, but he was ultimately unable to get enough of a touch to stop Sho-Silva’s effort from nestling in the back of the net.

However, another three minutes later, and this time it would be Wrexham who had the ball in the net. The impressive Allen weaved in and out of challenges in the box and cut the ball back to Jordan White, who finished from inside the six yard box.

On 58 minutes, the visitors would reduce the deficit even further. Tumba Massanka, who had just entered the fray as a substitute, scored with one of his first touches, with a neat finish after a good passing move.

However, after a period of few chances, Bromley restored their two goal deficit on 83 minutes. Blair Turgott latched onto George Porter’s excellent through ball in the box, turned his man, and finished into the bottom corner via a slight deflection.

The action was far from over though. Three minutes after that, Massanka, who had made the world of difference for the Dragons since coming on, scored from close range after Rutherford’s effort was blocked, which would ensure a very nervy finish to the match.

With virtually the last few seconds of injury time to play, Wrexham gained a free kick a few yards out from the edge of the penalty area. Up stepped substitute Anthony Barry, curling an effort over the wall, but fortunately for Bromley, straight into the arms of the grateful Flitney.

The result sees Bromley leapfrog Wrexham in the table, and the Ravens now sit in 11th place on 55 points with four games left to play.

Bromley XI: Flitney, Wynter, Johnson, Holland ©, Porter, Hall, Dymond (Minshull), Higgs (Omofe), Turgott, Sho-Silva (Goldberg), McLaughlin.

Unused subs: Stanic-Stewart, Daly.

Sign up for our Newsletter