6 February 2018

Report: Bromley 7-1 Workington

  • Men's

After a fairly even first half, an outstanding second half display from Bromley and a flurry of goals sees Bromley through!

The Ravens would start the game very much on the front foot, as good wing play from makeshift winger Jordan Higgs saw him produce a floated cross towards the back post, where the onrushing Frankie Raymond volleyed into the surface and then the side netting.

However, they would only have to wait three more minutes to take the lead. Another brilliant cross from Higgs was chested by Brandon Hanlan, allowing him to shift his weight and volley into the bottom corner for his first goal since his return to the club. He could have made it two straight from kickoff, but after weaving in and out of challenges and evading the onrushing goalkeeper, he struck an effort over the crossbar.

The Ravens would be made to pay for that miss, as just over a minute later, Workington were level. The impressive Nathan Waterston worked himself into a good position on the edge of the box, before curling an effort past the diving David Gregory, into the bottom corner.

Bromley were close to regaining the lead on 14 minutes, as George Porter’s hook across the face of goal appeared to be destined for the back of the net, only for Wright to head the ball off the line expertly. Top scorer Louis Dennis then tried his luck from 25 yards, but saw his effort skim the roof of the net.

The visitors almost took the lead just before the 25 minute mark, as Jordan Holt fired a low effort to Gregory’s bottom left corner, forcing an excellent save from the Bromley number 1, who tipped the ball away from danger. This started a counter attack for Bromley, which saw the ball worked to the feet of Dennis just inside the box, but he too was denied by a well timed block.

Porter had two good chances as half time approached, firstly heading a Raymond corner into the side netting at the back post, before nutmegging a defender and powering an effort at goal from distance, which was straight at Aaran Taylor, but dropped by the Reds ‘keeper, before being gathered at the second attempt.

Two minutes before half time, however, and the Ravens would regain the lead in style. Dennis would be the man to provide it, as he cut in from the right wing and from the corner of the box, sent a floating effort over Taylor and into the top corner.

It would remain that way at the interval, with the sides having played out a fairly even first 45.

After the break, Bromley were still on the attacking front, and looking for another goal to ease their minds slightly. After Josh Rees had curled an effort wide minutes into the second half, Porter somehow headed wide from about four yards out when it seemed easier to score, having connected with an excellent Hanlan cross.

However, Porter, determined as ever, would get his goal not long after. After Rees took down his throw in and fed the ball to Dennis inside the box, Porter made a run to the edge of the box and upon receiving the ball from Dennis, he smashed it into the bottom corner for a 3-1 lead.

And 15 minutes after that, three would become four, and it would be a second for Dennis. The in form front-man took down a lofted ball in the box and kept his composure to tuck the ball past Taylor and practically seal the tie. It was clear that Workington’s confidence had been affected by these goals, and they looked a shadow of the side they were in the first half.

On 77 minutes, the Reds’ misery would be rubber stamped, as substitute Luke Wanadio got in on the act. Unselfish play from Dennis, who was on a hat trick, saw him play a neat through ball to Wanadio in the box, and he took a touch, beat his man and smashed in an effort off the the underside of the crossbar. Dennis would go one step closer to claiming that elusive hat trick not long after, as he went one on one with Taylor and shot low, forcing the Reds’ stopper into a brave save, before Porter struck the rebound into the side netting from a difficult angle.

Five would then become six on 84 minutes, as outstanding work from Tyrone Sterling out on the left wing saw him produce an inch perfect low cross into the six yard box, where Higgs was waiting, and he made no mistake, tapping home from close range.

The final goal would come two minutes from time, and it would be the captain, Jack Holland, who would score it. Raymond’s excellent free kick delivery was met at the back post by Roger Johnson, who headed the ball back across goal for Holland to convert from inside the six yard box.

Bromley will now play host to Spennymoor Town on Saturday 24th February, kick off 3pm, in the Quarter Final of the Buildbase FA Trophy. Full details to follow shortly.

The originally scheduled home game against Barrow on that day will be now be rearranged and new date announced shortly.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Rees (Wanadio), Chorley (R.Johnson), Holland (C), Raymond, Hanlan (Bugiel), Dennis, Higgs, Sterling, Porter, Woolfenden.

Unused subs: D.Johnson, Sutherland.

Sign up for our Newsletter