14 April 2017

Report: Bromley 4-1 Barrow

  • Men's

Bromley welcomed playoff hopefuls Barrow to Hayes Lane on Good Friday, with the two sides having drawn the reverse fixture 1-1 back in September 2016.

The visitors, who had made the long journey South, started on the front foot and just a minute into the match, Jordan Williams fizzed a long range shot just over the bar to remind Bromley of their threat.

However, it would be Bromley who took the lead, perhaps against the run of play, with their first attempt. Shane McLaughlin’s persistence saw him win a corner, which was swung in by Blair Turgott. Lurking at the back post was the unmarked George Porter, who sent a diving header into the bottom corner past the diving Jon Flatt.

Minutes later, Flatt just about saved his own blushes as he fumbled Tobi Sho-Silva’s shot onto the crossbar, and just about recovered in time to stop Turgott tapping the loose ball home.

However, after a mistimed challenge from Connor Dymond just outside the six yard box, Barrow were awarded a penalty, which Richie Bennett duly converted cooly. Four minutes after that, and Bromley would have a spot kick of their own. Turgott cut in from the wing and weaved in and out of challenges in the area before being upended. He dusted himself down and stepped up to take the penalty, calmly dispatching the ball to Flatt’s right hand side to restore Bromley’s lead. And their lead would be extended a goal further just 13 minutes later. Bennett was penalised for a foul on George Porter, and Turgott would see himself involved in yet another goal, as he delivered the resulting free kick, which was headed towards goal by Lee Minshull and flicked past Flatt by the in form Sho-Silva, from what must have been two yards out.

The second half started off a much more dull affair than the first. A few minutes in, Jordan Higgs tested out Flatt from just outside the penalty area, only for the goalkeeper to make a comfortable save.

Fifteen minutes from time, after a great touch and backheel from McLoughlin, Turgott raced into the penalty area and managed to keep hold of the ball, before firing a fierce effort at goal, forcing Flatt into a superb diving save.
However, two minutes later, Ross Flitney made a superb save to preserve Bromley’s lead, tipping Moussa Diarra’s towering header onto the post, and luckily enough, Dan Johnson was there to clear the danger.

However, it would be Bromley who struck again, and it would be Sho-Silva to score his fifth goal in three games. After excellent work from Turgott and McLoughlin, the latter forced a parry from Flatt in the Barrow goal, but he could only put it on a plate for Sho-Silva, who struck home from the centre of the penalty area.

That would see Bromley through to full time, where they claimed a deserved three points in front of a 1,049 strong crowd.

Bromley XI: Flitney, Wynter, Johnson, Holland ©, Minshull, Porter (Dunne), Dymond, Higgs, Turgott, Sho-Silva, McLaughlin (Goldberg).

Unused substitutes: Hall, Omofe, Daly.

Sign up for our Newsletter