1 February 2020

Report: FC Halifax 2-1 Bromley

  • Men's

Ten man Bromley fell to defeat at the Shay Stadium on Saturday afternoon despite a second half rally.

Ryan Huddart was to thank for keeping the scores down early on, as Jamie Allen twisted and turned in the box. This resulted in him getting the better of Dave Winfield, before forcing an excellent save from Huddart, who diverted his goalbound shot around the post. Minutes later, Huddart had to be alert once again, as he got down well to his left to deny a low effort from Devante Rodney.

The hosts continued to apply the pressure, as Cameron King struck a 25 yard effort well, only to see it hit the outside the post and fall wide of the mark.

Bromley’s first chance of note came after Josh Rees found the run of Luke Coulson with an excellent pass, but the Bromley number 7 saw his dipping effort go inches wide of the post.

It was then that the hosts made their mark. After Jamie Allen locked onto a long ball and was adjudged to have been fouled by Jack Holland when through on goal, the Ravens captain was given a straight red, with Town awarded a free kick on the very edge of the box. Rodney stepped up to strike it, but with a heavy deflection from the Bromley wall, Niall Maher was first to react and tuck the ball beyond Huddart from the six yard box.

And 13 minutes later, they would double their lead. Michael Chambers misjudged the bounce of a long ball forward, and Rodney picked up possession, before finding the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Just three minutes later, deep into stoppage time, Bromley pulled one back. Frankie Raymond’s delightful free kick towards the back post was headed beyond Sam Johnson by Joe Kizzi, despite the goalkeeper getting a touch.

The second half was an entirely different affair, with the Ravens controlling affairs from start to finish, despite a numerical disadvantage.

Just a minute into the second half, Corey Whitely did well to keep the ball in play and beat his man, before finding Michael Cheek in the six yard box. The Ravens striker couldn’t control the ball properly as it ricocheted off the goalkeeper, before being cleared.

Rees had a good chance to level things up midway through the half, but after reaching Coulson’s cross, his flicked effort was saved by Johnson.

Despite controlling the remainder of the half and restricting Halifax to no attempts, the Ravens were unable to find a way through, with the hosts claiming the points.

Bromley XI: Huddart, Kizzi, Higgs, Winfield, Holland (C) (Sent off 30′), Coulson, Raymond, Cheek (Williamson), Whitely (Clifton), Rees, Chambers (Bush)

Subs: Cousins, Rowe

Sign up for our Newsletter