13 October 2020

Report: Hartlepool United 0-0 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley’s first away fixture of the season ended all square.

The first half was shaded by the hosts, albeit Bromley did have chances of their own on a number of occasions.

As both sides adapted to the heavy wind and rainfall, it would be the hosts who had the opening chance. A pinpoint cross from Lewis Cass reached the head of Rhys Oates, but he could only head onto the roof of the net.

Bromley responded two minutes later, as a quickly taken Harry Forster free kick was poked goalwards by Jack Holland on the edge of the six yard box, but Ben Killip slid out to make the block.

Featherstone shot wide for Pools, before Ryan Donaldson went even closer. His low shot had the beating of Mark Cousins, but Chris Bush was well positioned to make a last ditch block to preserve the scoreline. Gavin Holohan also found himself able to shoot from just inside the box, but Cousins was able to get down to his left and make a simple save.

Bromley were keen to put an end the hosts’ pressure, and almost did exactly that, as Frankie Raymond’s corner caused havoc in the box, but an off balance Holland was unable to beat Killip from close range. The hosts then thought they had the lead, but Holohan’s header was chalked off for offside.

Killip needed to be alert again on 35 minutes, as he denied Ben Williamson at the near post with a fine save following a slick attack from the visitors.

United should have led on 40 minutes, but after Donaldson found time and space in the box to pick his spot, he could only fire high over the Cousins’ crossbar.

The second half saw the hosts pile on the pressure even more so. Oates met an inswinging cross from Cass on the edge of the six yard box, but could only stab it into Cousins’ arms.

It would be that man who would then spurn Pools’ best chance of the match. After meeting a searching cross from the left, he could only direct a free header onto the underside of the crossbar, before Bromley were able to clear the danger.

Cousins would then be called into action, and he had to be at his best, as Ryan Johnson powered a header towards goal, which the Bromley stopper was able to expertly tip away from danger.

Holohan and Donaldson persisted in trying their luck from long range, but neither were able to hit the target. Bromley’s first attempt of the second half fell to Byron Webster five minutes from time, as he directed a Raymond free kick goalwards, but the flag had already been raised for offside.

Despite the hosts putting pressure on the Ravens for the entire second half, the visitors could have grabbed the perfect smash and grab victory late on. Good hold up play from Michael Cheek played substitute Luke Coulson in down the left, but his low effort was well saved by Killip.

Neither side were able to force any openings in injury time, leaving both to settle for a share of the spoils.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Bush, Holland (Maloney) (C), Raymond, Cheek, Roberts, Trotter, Webster, Williamson, Forster (Coulson), L’Ghoul (Alabi)

Unused substitutes: Purrington, Vincent

Sign up for our Newsletter