6 October 2018

Report: Maidstone United 0-1 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley made it three games unbeaten with their second Kent Derby win in just under two weeks, and their first away clean sheet of the season.

The Ravens made an attacking start to proceedings at the Gallagher Stadium, with Marc-Anthony Okoye going close with just two minutes at the clock, flicking a header into the arms of Lee Worgan after Jack Holland nodded George Porter’s long throw into his path.

Yet, with just eleven minutes on the clock, Bromley, playing in all blue, would take the lead. A quickly taken free kick just inside the Maidstone half was quickly taken by Frankie Raymond, who played in Sam Wood down the left. Wood took a touch before delivering a deep cross towards the six yard box, where Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe got in behind the Stones back line, and stooped to nod past Worgan.

Okoye was again a threat minutes later, but after picking up a loose ball in the box, he couldn’t get enough power on his shot, and it was straight at Worgan.

The Stones went close to providing just the required response not long after, as former Bromley man Blair Turgott ghosted into the box and struck a low volley at goal, only to be denied by a superb fingertip save from David Gregory, who tipped the ball wide.

The next chance came after 25 minutes, in what was already an action packed game. Turgott worked his way down the right and into the box, but after cutting inside, saw his low effort well saved by Gregory, who was straight to his feet to deny Jake Cassidy’s floated effort with another top save.

At the other end, just nine minutes later, Bromley would have a great chance to double their lead. After fantastic play from Ogedi-Uzokwe, a counter attack ended in George Porter latching onto a through ball and entering the box, before curling an effort at goal, only to see Worgan produce an outstanding save to deny him.

An even better chance would fall Bromley’s way six minutes before half time. More magical footwork from Ogedi-Uzokwe allowed him space to play a quick ball to Bobby-Joe Taylor as he was bursting into the box with only Worgan to beat, but the former Maidstone man struck a low shot against the base of the post.

The second half required a response from Maidstone, and despite having a high percentage of the possession, they were unable to make a breakthrough.

Early on in the half, Cassidy turned his man out on the left and cut inside, stinging the palms of Gregory with an angled drive. At the other end, more combination play between Holland and Okoye ended with the latter receiving the former’s knock down in the box but saw his powerful volley blocked at source before being cleared.

The game then hit a bit of a lull until 73 minutes, where substitute Ollie Muldoon let fly from over 20 yards out, drawing a stunning diving save from Gregory as the Stones became frustrated. There was time for two more chances late on for the hosts. Firstly, Muldoon stood over a 25 yard free kick with just minutes left on the clock and struck a powerful effort over the wall and onto the underside of the crossbar, before Bromley managed to clear.

Finally, as the Stones began to realise they weren’t going to get any change out of Bromley, Jack Paxman struck a low shot against the post from an angle, which then rebounded off Gregory’s back and out for a corner, eventually coming to nothing.

The Ravens fought through to the end to leave the Gallagher Stadium with all of the points, largely thanks to an excellent first half attacking display, and some determined defending in the second half.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Sutherland, Holland (C), Taylor (Brindley), Raymond, Mekki (Higgs), Okoye (Johnson), Porter, Ogedi-Uzokwe, Wood, Rooney.

Unused substitutes: Meekums, Luque

Attendance: 2294

Sign up for our Newsletter