27 March 2021

Report: Wrexham 3-0 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley made the long trip to North Wales on Saturday afternoon, to take on Wrexham at the Racecourse Ground under the leadership of Alan Dunne and Roger Johnson.

The Ravens started well, earning two corners in the first four minutes with a spell of early pressure. Frankie Raymond took them both, with Joe Kizzi heading over at the back post for the first, before the second was cleared by the hosts’ defence.

Soon after, Raymond would have an attempt of his own. After the remnants of a long Chris Bush throw fell to Michael Cheek, the ball was set back to Raymond on the edge of the box, but his low strike was wide.

Taylor Maloney would be the next to have a strike, and this time it hit the target. After space opened up for him, the former Charlton Athletic man burst towards the box, before shooting low, only to see his effort saved by Rob Lainton.

However, despite domination of the first half hour from the Ravens, it was the hosts who would take the lead. A whipped corner wasn’t dealt with by the Bromley defence, allowing Jordan Davies to flick beyond Mark Cousins.

Wrexham would then go on to double their lead on 39 minutes, as Dior Angus was found in space just inside the box, beating the offside trap and looping a volley over Cousins and into the net.

As half time approached, the Ravens would spurn a golden opportunity to pull a goal back. A mix up at the back for Wrexham was capitalised on by Jack Bridge, who pulled the ball back to Courtney Duffus in the six yard box. However, the forward didn’t connect with the ball properly and blazed over the crossbar.

In the second half, Wrexham started off as they had finished in the first. Just a minute in, Kwame Thomas flicked a header on for Angus, who only had Cousins to beat, but blazed high and wide.

At the other end, more good footwork from Jack Bridge saw him find Cheek in the box, but from the tightest of angles, he hit the side netting. Angus was then in the thick of the action again, as he prodded Reece Hall-Johnson’s low cross wide from close range.

Bridge then received the ball from Cheek on the edge of the box and curled a shot goalwards, forcing a good save from Lainton, who dived down to his right once again.

Jamie Reckord’s deep free kick hit the crossbar, before Cheek could have pulled one back at the other end. After Theo Vassell misread a ball into the box, the Bromley striker took the ball on the bounce and lobbed Lainton, only for his effort to miss the target.

However it was the hosts who would score soon after, and Angus wouldn’t be denied for a third time, and netted his second on 66 minutes. From a tight angle, the former Barrow man fired across goal and in off the post to continue his run of form against Bromley.

It continued to be a frustrating afternoon for the Ravens, who saw Academy scholar Liam Vincent come on and within minutes, create havoc in the Wrexham box. But after going down under a challenge, no penalty was given.

Angus was hungry for a hat-trick and almost got his wish, but another angled effort, was well saved by Cousins with twelve minutes left to play.

As Bromley searched for a late consolation, they would once again go close, but Liam Trotter’s header from a deep free kick hit the post and went wide.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Bush, Coulson (Arthurs), Raymond (Vincent), Cheek (Williamson), Duffus, Maloney, Trotter, Webster (C), Bridge

Unused substitutes: Holland, Purrington

Sign up for our Newsletter