16 March 2021

Report: Yeovil Town 1-2 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley made a Tuesday night trip to Somerset to take on Yeovil Town at Huish Park, a side whom the Ravens had already faced on two occasions this season, both at Hayes Lane.

The first half provided little by way of chances, but it was the Glovers who would start the better. Less than a minute in, Matt Worthington picked up possession and drove into the box, only for Jack Holland to make a timely interception to deny a shot.

On 5 minutes, former Raven Joe Quigley tested Mark Cousins with a low drive from the edge of the box, and though it was well struck, it was saved well.

After Luke Coulson had a fierce effort blocked and cleared, Rhys Murphy almost opened the scoring at the other end, but his angled effort was well saved by Cousins.

Bromley went close through Taylor Maloney on 26 minutes. After receiving a flick from Jack Bridge, he turned and produced a dipping effort from the edge of the box, but it was just a tad too high to trouble Adam Smith.

Then came perhaps the best chance of the first half. Good work from ex-Yeovil Town man Courtney Duffus inside the box allowed him to find Michael Cheek, who took a touch and fired across goal, missing the target by inches.

The second half would prove to be quite the dramatic affair.

This time, it was the Ravens who would start the better. Just a minute in, Coulson’s pinpoint cross was headed goalwards by Duffus, only for Adam Smith to make a fantastic reaction save, tipping the ball over the crossbar.

The Ravens’ intent would soon pay off, as after 55 minutes, they would take the lead. Cheek led an attack, running at the hosts’ defence, before laying the ball into the path of Coulson. Cheek made a run into the box, which was spotted by Coulson, who launched a perfect cross into him, and Cheek did the rest, heading beyond Smith.

However, more drama would come minutes later. After Byron Webster was adjudged to have handled in the box, referee James Durkin pointed to the spot. Up stepped the in-form Rhys Murphy, and he made no mistake, smashing an effort into the top corner and beyond Cousins.

Twelve minutes from time, Cheek could and perhaps should have added his and Bromley’s second. After the hosts failed to clear Raymond’s corner, the ball bounced up in front of Cheek, who, from close range, prodded agonisingly wide.

Bromley pushed and pushed, as did the hosts, making for an entertaining final few minutes. However, it would be Bromley who would come out on top in even more dramatic fashion than at Eastleigh ten days before.

Deep into six minutes of injury time, Raymond’s free kick delivery was misjudged by substitute Rueben Reid, who inexplicably placed a header back towards his own goal under no pressure, sending the ball looping over Smith and into the net to seal the three points and ending Yeovil’s 8 game winning run at home.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Holland (Roberts), Coulson, Raymond, Cheek (Alabi), Duffus, Maloney, Trotter, Webster (C), Bridge (Wakefield)

Unused substitutes: Purrington, Williamson

Sign up for our Newsletter