28 September 2019

Report: Yeovil Town 3-1 Bromley

  • Men's

The Ravens travelled to Huish Park looking to end The Glovers 6 game winning streak. A win for the hosts would see them move within a point of the visitors, whilst unbeaten Bromley would extend their lead at the top with a win.

In the first two minutes of the game Marc-Anthony Okoye looked to head the ball back to Mark Cousins but his mis placed header was almost cut out by Glovers striker Rhys Murphy. The Bromley keeper got to the ball first but both players collided in what resulted in a 19-minute delay.

With no substitute goalkeeper on the bench Chris Bush put on the gloves as Cousins was stretchered off with suspected concussion. Jack Holland was the man to replace Cousins.

The Yeovil striker on the other end of the collision, Murphy, was also unable to continue and was replaced by Lawson D’Ath.

22 minutes in and the league leaders were in front. Alfie Doughty whipping in a free kick towards the back post, Joe Kizzi rose highest to head back across goal, and an unmarked Michael Cheek was able to slot home from 6 yards.

Shortly after the opening goal, Bromley should have doubled their lead. A Yeovil corner was cleared and Doughty on the halfway line got to the ball ahead of the defender and drove towards goal. With Luke Coulson waiting for a tap in, he opted to shoot at the near post but Adam Smith read him well.

A half chance for Reeco Hackett-Fairchild as an in-swinging corner was met by the head of the winger, in a crowded 6-yard box, but pressure on him directed the ball over the crossbar. Shortly after, a long ball by Joe Kizzi down the line and Cheek dispossessed Yeovil skipper Lee Collins, he was able to drive towards the box and lay the ball off for Josh Rees who’s shot never troubled Smith.

Due to the long delay at the start of the game there was to be 19 minutes of added time at the end of the first half. Bromley were pegged back in the second minute of injury time. Matt Worthington had far too much time on the right-hand side and was able to swing in a cross for Jimmy Smith who nodded home the equaliser.

With 5 minutes left of injury time at the end of the first half, Cheek found himself free in the box after Collins lost his footing. Cheek was unable to direct his header on target.

In to the second half and the first chance fell to the away side. A deep Coulson cross was met by the head of Kizzi at the back post, but his header hit the wrong side of Smith’s near post.

The first chance of the second half for Town and Worthington’s volley following a long throw was comfortably saved by Bush.

Intricate passing down the right from the home side and Craig Alcock crossed for striker Gold Omotayo but he couldn’t guide his header into the corner.

A moment which would change the game came soon after, and in unfortunate fashion. Alcock was once again allowed space to cross, Okoye’s attempted header rebounded off of Holland. Panic set loose in the box and Okoye directed a left footed clearance through Bush’s legs, as it trickled agonisingly into the visitors’ net.

To add insult to injury, the home side grabbed a third and this time it was the smallest player on the pitch. A Carl Dickinson free kick and Charlie Lee rose above the rest to loop a header over Bush into the far corner.

Bromley remain top of the table despite defeat here at Huish Park. Meanwhile The Glovers make it 7 wins on the bounce and close the gap at the top of the National League. A tough defeat to take for The Ravens but a valiant effort nonetheless.

Bromley XI: Cousins (Hiolland), Kizzi, Wood, Okoye (C), Rees, Bingham, Hackett-Fairchild, Doughty (Clifton), Coulson (McCoulsky), Cheek

Unused subs: Mekki, Klass

Attendance: 3960 (147 away supporters)

Report by Dan Bentley

Sign up for our Newsletter