25 August 2018

Report: Wrexham 2-2 Bromley

  • Men's

Bromley came from 2-0 down to snatch a point at the death on Saturday afternoon, as a frantic end to the game saw the Ravens net an injury time equaliser.

The Ravens were always in the game, even when they were trailing by two goals, and a perfect example of fighting spirit saw an impressive comeback take place.

The first half chance of the afternoon fell to John Goddard. Following an inswinging free kick from Frankie Raymond, Goddard picked up possession from a half clearance, but saw his attempted volley blocked by Shaun Pearson.

After Akil Wright spurned a chance to give the home side the lead, heading wide at the near post, Bromley had a good opportunity of their own. Frankie Sutherland’s short corner was returned to him by Goddard, for the former to float in an inch perfect cross, which was nodded just wide by Marc-Anthony Okoye.

Bromley sensed opportunity, and just two minutes on, they would have the best opportunity of the game. Tobi Adebayo-Rowling’s pace and trickery down the wing saw him get the better of James Jennings and cross into the box, where Omar Bugiel planted a free header just wide.

In an almost carbon copy of the previous chance, George Porter sent a stooping header wide from a low Raymond cross, before Jordan Maguire-Drew’s dangerous cross was expertly headed behind by Roger Johnson at the other end.

However, just a minute later, Wrexham would strike. A long ball over the top was not cleared by Sam Wood, allowing Mike Fondop to run through on goal and lob the advancing David Gregory.

Minutes later, Fondop would have an almost identical chance to double his side’s lead, but Gregory got the better of the former Guiseley man this time, standing his ground and clasping the attempted chip.

As the half drew to a close, quick thinking from Raymond saw him play Goddard in down the left from a quickly taken free kick, but after cutting in and finding Porter, the latter scuffed his shot, failing to hit the target.

Four minutes into the second half, Bugiel outmuscled Pearson in the box to gain possession of the ball, but could only fire into the side netting from the tightest of angles.

After a bit of a lull in terms of chances, Wrexham had appeals for a penalty turned down on 65 minutes, as Fondop went through on goal, before attempting to take the ball around Gregory and falling to the floor. The result was a caution for the front man for simulation, much to the dismay of the vocal home support.

Yet, just a minute later, they would double their lead. Good play from Maguire-Drew on the right hand side of the box saw him drill a low, powerful ball into the six yard box, where substitute Rekeil Pyke finished smartly, back-heeling past Gregory.

In what was becoming something of a mad five minutes, Bromley were awarded a penalty on 68 minutes for a push in the box. Up stepped Sutherland, who had scored his last spot kick just days before against Dover Athletic, and he made no mistake, confidently slotting home and sending Rob Lainton the wrong way.

And the comeback would be complete in deep into stoppage time. After some persistent pressure, the Ravens earned a corner with just over a minute left. Raymond stepped up to deliver the ball, and sent a well weighted corner into the six yard box, where Luke Summerfield rose high and flicked a header into his own net to ensure Bromley left with a deserved point.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Adebayo-Rowling (Ogedi-Uzokwe), Sutherland, R.Johnson, Raymond, Bugiel (Meekums), Okoye, Goodman, Porter, Goddard (Taylor), Wood

Unused substitues: D.Johnson, Higgs

Attendance: 5,714 (58 away)

Sign up for our Newsletter