13 April 2020

Season in review: November

  • Men's

A busy November awaited Bromley, as they looked to maintain the momentum gained towards the end of the previous month.

Having overcome Aldershot Town in the FA Cup in October, the Ravens were pitted against League One playoff contenders Bristol Rovers away from home, a test which would come on 10th November.

But before all of that came a visit to North Wales to face a Wrexham side who had endured a far from blistering 2019/20 so far, having spent most of it around the foot of the table. After a fairly even match with both goalkeepers being tested, it was the Dragons who would take all three points, courtesy of a stunning strike from Luke Young a little over ten minutes from time, as Bromley’s search for a first ever win at the Racecourse Stadium continued.


Next up came the much anticipated FA Cup tie, with Club Chairman Robin Stanton-Gleaves laying on free coach travel for all supporters, an offer which went down very well, with Bromley taking over 500 fans on the day. In what was a valiant performance where the Ravens dominated most of the game, they would fall behind midway through the second half with one of the hosts’ first chances of the game. Yet, the drama was far from done, as Chris Bush continued his fine form with an equaliser just minutes from time, despite Bromley only having ten players on the pitch due to injuries and all substitutions being made. A replay would decide who would progress.

bush flicks into danger area

Ahead of that replay was the small matter of facing ever improving Harrogate Town at Hayes Lane in what would turn out to be a remarkable game. An early defensive error saw Bromley a goal down, before two further strikes, including one from former Raven Brendan Kiernan had Town 3-0 up before half time, leaving Bromley stunned. Yet, Reeco Hackett-Fairchild pulled one back on the stroke of injury time to make things interesting. The second half was all Bromley, and a brace from Bush ensured Bromley took a deserved point.

reeco scores

Focus swiftly turned back to the FA Cup as Bristol Rovers arrived at Hayes Lane three days later. An early Johnson Clarke-Harris goal had the Gas ahead, but the Ravens were incredibly unlucky not to come away with anything in front of the cameras, with Michael Cheek being denied a perfectly good goal with a bizarre offside decision.


With the FA Cup now in the past, Bromley turned their attention to a local derby with a short trip to Gander Green Lane to face Sutton United. It was described as the perfect away performance, with a goal in each half, from debutant Ben Williamson and Michael Cheek sealing a 2-0 victory, with the added bonus of a clean sheet on the road.

Williamson goal 2

Two more games followed before the month was up, starting with a Tuesday night visit to Kingfield to take on Woking. Despite an early strike from Luke Coulson, the hosts came away with the points, winning 2-1.

Raymond and referee

Concluding the month was the visit of Yeovil Town to Hayes Lane. It looked as if Bromley would claim victory thanks to a second half Frankie Raymond penalty, only for a Rhys Murphy goal way beyond the additional time indicated snatched a point for the Glovers.

Off the pitch, the Club, supporters, staff and players alike would be rocked by the news of the retirement of popular defender Marc-Anthony Okoye. The imposing centre back, who had been enjoying an excellent season, had played for the Club as an U9, before going on a journey away from Hayes Lane and then returning in 2018. However, a persistent and serious knee injury meant the 27 year old had to retire from the game he loved and the game that loved him. You can read more about this by clicking here. 

Action during the Vanarama National League match between Bromley and Notts County at Hayes Lane, Bromley, England on 21st September 2019. Photo by Edmund Boyden.

Sign up for our Newsletter