15 August 2023

Soul Kader nets first senior goal in Wealdstone draw

  • Men's
Soul Kader nets first senior goal in Wealdstone draw

Bromley hosted strong-starters Wealdstone and looked to gain their first win of the 2023/24 National League campaign. The visitors went into the game with four points from a possible six, and would provide a tough test for the Ravens.

After a cagey opening few moments, Wealdstone took the lead with the first shot of the game. In the fourth minute, Thavon Campbell received the ball on the edge of the box, and his left-footed strike trickled past Grant Smith into the bottom right corner.

Bromley responded quickly, with Ben Krauhaus immediately curling an in-swinging corner onto the bar, with Wealdstone goalkeeper Jed Ward scrambling. Five minutes later it was a Krauhaus corner that caused the visitors issues again, with his ball reaching Chin Okoli, who made contact with the ball but could only divert it wide. Bromley’s pressure continued as Michael Cheek put the ball in the net in the 25th minute, but was judged to be offside.

As we hit the half an hour mark, Wealdstone had dominated much of the ball, but Bromley looked dangerous going forward. This was shown when Michael Cheek picked up the ball just inside the Wealdstone half, and tried his luck with Ward a long way from his line, with the ball flying just over the bar and onto the roof of the net.

With half-time fast approaching, Krauhaus was a threat for Bromley, as he curled in a delightful cross that reached Besart Topalloj, but the latter was denied well by Ward. Almost immediately at the other end, Wealdstone responded as Campbell went through on goal, and was heroically denied by a double block by Bromley defender Cole Kpekawa.

After a frantic start to the second half Wealdstone had the first real opening, as Olufela Olomola was found in behind the Bromley back-line, but could only fire his effort into the hands of Grant Smith. Just a few minutes later Olomola was the danger man again, linking up brilliantly with Campbell to burst through on goal, but his effort slammed into the side netting.

As we entered the 65th minute, Andy Woodman showed intent by replacing defender Chin Okoli with attacking midfielder Todd Miller, with wing back Josh Passley dropping into the back three.

This saw Bromley drag themselves back in to the game, with Cheek winning the ball back high up the pitch and slipping in Soul Kader, whose left-footed strike fizzed into the bottom right corner, equalising for Bromley in the 71st minute.

As we approached the final 10 minutes, Bromley looked on top with a series of long-throws and attacking free-kicks. After Todd Miller had a shot blocked on the edge of the box, Byron Webster followed in, sending a thunderous strike inches over the bar, with ‘keeper Ward nowhere near it.

With just two minutes to go, Wealdstone broke fast, and with Josh Passley unable to clear, Campbell went through on goal. Despite the chance heavily favouring the forward, Grant Smith came out of his goal and made a great save to keep the scores level.

In a frantic period of the game, Bromley responded with a huge moment of their own. A lofted ball into the box fell to the feet of Cheek, who rounded ‘keeper Ward, and despite going down under challenge from the latter, the referee didn’t point to the spot.

Despite both sides fighting for the win in six minutes of added time, there was no victor in the end. Bromley picked up their first point of the season, as Wealdstone kept their unbeaten streak alive.

Written by Will Drummond.

Sign up for our Newsletter