8 October 2022

Report & Reaction: Bromley 1-1 Gateshead

  • Interviews
  • League
Report & Reaction: Bromley 1-1 Gateshead

Bromley faced a Gateshead side slumped in the lower end of the league going into the game, with Andy Woodman’s men cruising fourth in the league, unbeaten in their last four games, and hoping to keep up the momentum as they progress further into the season.

Adam Campbell kick-started the game at Hayes Lane, with both teams racing out of the blocks in the first few minutes. Some Jude Arthurs trickery led to a Bromley free kick, where the Ravens enjoyed a sunny spell of possession, before a lofted ball over the top to Adam Marriott led to an early Reece Hannam corner. The ball fell to the edge of the box and was swung towards regular scorer Omar Sowunmi, who squared it to a waiting Michael Cheek, whose clever finish was not enough to overrule the offside flag.

Sowunmi proved a problem again in the fifth minute, firing a shot at goal, forcing the goalie to parry it out for a corner. Gateshead were clearly under the cosh here as a Vennings ball across the box led to another corner, before a Jude Arthurs shot was misplaced, rolling out for a goal-kick.

Gateshead occasionally expressed their ability to upset the cart against the run of play, but the solidity of Bromley’s defence was able to abolish any threats.

Jude Arthurs continued his impressive display with relentless runs in behind, one of which led to a fourth corner only 13 minutes in. A teasing Hannam ball forced the goalie to stretch a hand, beating the ball away. Arthurs continued to dominate the right hand side, giving full back Luke Daley a very hard time.

A 27th minute corner swung in by captain Greg Olley forced a solid save from Tom Smith, and less than a minute later, Carl Magnay of Gateshead went down in his own half with an injury. Play resumed and the 34th minute saw a magnificent ball from Reece Hannam protrude into the box, finding the head of prolific goal scorer Adam Marriott and forcing a good save from Langley.

A quiet first half came to an end after two additional minutes, after a fairly even game.

A cagey start to the second half saw little goalmouth action, until a 52nd minute Vennings corner raised pulses after a Cheek bullet header forced a save from Langley. More chances followed for the Ravens, but none could be converted into goals.   

A composed finish from Michael Cheek in the 62nd minute was struck from the scoresheet after a raised flag from the linesman diminished the roars of supporters. A penalty appeal in the following minutes sparked an added roar around the Fortress that is Hayes Lane, and Andy Woodman’s men seemed to have secured a stronger grip on the game. This was later confirmed when Michael Cheek had another effort saved by Langley, who was certainly a key ingredient for Gateshead’s success in the first half.  

The deadlock was broken in the 72nd minute after a beautiful linkup between substitutes Harry Forster and Louis Dennis, after a Tom Smith long ball found the magician Forster on the right flank. After displaying superb control, he fizzed a ball across the deck, putting it on a plate for Bromley legend Louie Dennis at the back-post, who calmly steered the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the goal. This marks Dennis’ second goal after coming off the bench this season, after a stunner against Torquay at Hayes Lane, that goal also being in the 72nd minute.  

Bromley’s lead was short lived however, as an 80th minute Dan Ward equaliser tore the excitement away from Bromley after the number 12 turned in Adam Campbell’s cut back.  

Hayes Lane witnessed some beautiful tiki-taka football from Bromley in the dying enders of the game, but it couldn’t amount to anything. Despite Bromley’s best efforts, the referee’s whistle concluded a 1-1 draw, meaning Bromley drop down to 5th in the National league, with Gateshead also losing rank, dropping to 19th. 

Next up, we welcome Hereford to Hayes Lane on Saturday!

Written by Daniel Catlin

Sign up for our Newsletter