7 October 2017

Report: Gateshead 1-2 Bromley

  • Men's
  • News

Bromley turned the tables on last Saturday’s injury time defeat to Tranmere Rovers at Gateshead on Saturday, coming back from 1-0 down to beat the Heed in stoppage time.The first half was an uneventful affair. There were very few attempts on goal, and the sides appeared to cancel each other out. Luke Hannant and Danny Johnson had chances for Gateshead, but blazed their efforts harmlessly over the bar.

For Bromley, the main talking points of the half were the substitutions of George Porter on 38 minutes and Iffy Allen at half time, as both had taken knocks.

They were replaced by Brett Williams and Adam Mekki respectively, who would play vital roles later on in the match.

After the break, both sides showed more attacking intent, and great interplay between Williams, Mekki and Louis Dennis saw the latter cut in from the right wing and shoot at goal, only for Dan Handford to parry the ball away from goal, where Callum Williams was on hand to clear.

Heed substitute Richard Peniket began to cause Bromley’s defence some problems, and shot wide from 20 yards as the home side gradually took more control. Russell Penn also went close for Gateshead, with a 25 yard screamer which whistled past the post.

Williams could have then put Bromley ahead, but after taking down a long ball in the box and doing well to turn, his shot hit the side netting, under persistent pressure from Neill Byrne.

However, four minutes later, the Heed took the lead. Peniket made a good run down the left and got the better of Alan Dunne, before producing a pinpoint cross for Johnson to head over the line from about two yards out.

As Bromley looked to respond, manager Neil Smith replaced Luke Wanadio with Ben Chorley, the latter slotting in at the back to allow Jack Holland to play as a striker, and Dennis to revert to the right wing.

It almost paid off immediately, with space being created in the Gateshead half and Dennis sending a first time effort just wide from close range. Dunne then rose above everybody to bravely get his head to a Dennis corner, but his headed effort was directed into the ground and bounced over the crossbar.

In the 83rd minute, however, Bromley’s newly found attacking intent would pay off. Great play from the impressive Mekki saw him cut in and play a through ball to Holland, who was upended by Scott Barrow. Louis Dennis stepped up and made no mistake, sending Hanford the wrong way and finishing coolly into his bottom right corner.

The goal appeared to give Bromley renewed confidence, and they almost went ahead moments later, but Holland, when through on goal thanks to Tyrone Sterling’s flick on, sent a left footed chip into the side netting when off balance and at a difficult angle.

However, the late persistence from the Ravens would pay off in additional time. Superb anticipation from Mekki down the left wing saw him make a good run to keep the ball in play, before he delivered an inch perfect cross for the waiting Williams to connect with and head past the despairing Hanford for a dramatic late winner

Attendance: 853 (52 Bromley supporters, thank you all for your fantastic support and effort made yesterday!)

Report: Matt Hall

Sign up for our Newsletter