14 April 2018

Report: Woking 0-2 Bromley

  • Men's
  • News

A professional and clinical performance from Bromley saw them leave the Laithwaite Community Stadium with all three points on Saturday afternoon.

The opening minutes were cagey from both sides, with the Cards doing most of the attacking, yet, with no end product.

On 11 minutes, Bromley would be presented with their first real chance. George Porter and Omar Bugiel combined well, before the latter cut in from the left and laid the ball back to Frankie Sutherland, only to see him miscue his effort and slice it well wide.

Just two minutes after that, a long ball forward into the Bromley box caused problems for Roger Johnson, who saw Reece Grego-Cox beat him to the ball and lay it back across goal, only for Charlie Carter to fire a tame effort straight into David Gregory’s arms.

Porter then raced onto a pass into the Woking penalty area, beating and rounding the onrushing Nathan Baxter, only for the Woking goalkeeper to get a touch and divert the ball from Porter’s feet, straight into the path of Wanadio. He attempted to round Baxter as Porter had moments earlier, but on the very edge of the box, he got a vital hand to the ball to push it away from the swarming yellow shirts.

After Wanadio had ballooned a first time volley well wide of goal, and Regan Charles-Cook had a shot blocked at the other end, came the breakthrough, and it fell Bromley’s way.

A long throw from Porter into the Cards’ penalty area caused chaos, and after Baxter flapped at the ball, Jordan Higgs stooped in at the back post to send a diving header into the net and give his side the lead.

B's Higgs scores B's first with diving header
Sutherland could have doubled the lead not long after, and went very close to doing so, seeing his curling free kick from just outside the box beat the wall but land on the wrong side of the post, missing it by inches. At the other end, in first half stoppage time, Grego-Cox was denied by a brave sliding block from Johnson, as he lashed an effort at goal from the centre of the box.

In the second half, Woking would continue to see a robust Bromley side frustrate their efforts. After a fairly slow paced opening twelve minutes, the game opened up. Former Bromley winger Anthony Cook curled a 25 yard free kick just over the crossbar as Woking looked for a lifeline.

On 67 minutes, Bugiel combined well with Frankie Raymond to play Wanadio in down the left, and after he cut back a pass to Porter in the box, the latter saw a shot blocked by the hand of Josh Staunton, yet, a corner was given, with Porter receiving a booking for his protests.

However, the Ravens made the corner count, thanks to another fantastic delivery from Sutherland. As he whipped a corner into the box, Johnson rose higher than anyone and connected with his head, only to see Baxter parry his effort back into his path, where he was able to prod past the recovering Woking stopper for his first Bromley goal, and a 2-0 lead.

B's Johnson (partly hidden by keeper's head) scores B's first goal

Five minutes later and just moments after entering the fray as a substitute, Brandon Hanlan took down a lofted pass from Higgs, showed strength to beat his man and surge into the box, but frustratingly see his low shot deflected wide for a corner.

Hanlan was in the thick of it again on 76 minutes, as he was lurking at the front post when Baxter fumbled a Wanadio cross, but was unable to react in time to prod the ball into an empty net.

Other than Fabio Saraiva’s free kick which evaded everyone and sailed inches wide, Woking were unable to fashion any further clear chances as Bromley defended resolutely to earn a deserved three points and surpass last season’s points total of 61.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Dunne (Woolfenden), Holland (C), Raymond, Higgs, Sterling, Wanadio, Porter (Dennis), R.Johnson, Sutherland, Bugiel (Hanlan)

Unused subs: Rees, D. Johnson.

Attendance: 2027

Report by Matt Hall / @hally_matt

Photographs courtesy of David Holmes

B cele with scorer Johnson - rhs

Sign up for our Newsletter