13 September 2021

Report: Bromley 2-3 Boreham Wood

  • News
Report: Bromley 2-3 Boreham Wood

Bromley welcomed second in the table Boreham Wood to Hayes Lane on Saturday afternoon and it was the visitors who came out on top, winning 3-2.

The Ravens made two changes to the side that started last week’s game against Chesterfield, with Andy Woodman bringing Louis Dennis and Harry Forster in for Haji Mnoga and Sam Skeffington.

After four years at the club, Frankie Raymond returned to Hayes Lane after his summer exit to The Wood in the summer.

Boreham Wood started as the better side, keeping possession well in the early minutes, which led to a Josh Rees header but he put it just past the goal and into the side netting.

The visitors’ early pressure paid dividends in the 16th minute when Scott Boden stuck the ball past Mark Cousins to put his side 1-0 up.

Boden’s goal fired Bromley up, as just a minute later, Harry Forster dances through the Boreham Wood defence and tries a shot from just outside the area, forcing Nathan Ashmore to tip the ball over the bar for a corner.

The Ravens kept up the pressure for most of the first half, with Michael Cheek’s header, which was cleared off the line, being the pick of the bunch for Bromley chances in the first 45 minutes.

Just before referee Elliot Swallow blew for half-time, Boreham Wood came close. A mistake in the Bromley back line led to an open goal for Rees but he put the ball wide and his side went into the break one goal to the good.

There were two changes for The Ravens at the break, as Omar Sowunmi and Jude Arthurs came off for Chris Bush and Liam Trotter.

Just two minutes after the break, Billy Bingham brings Bromley back into the game with a lovely finish past Ashmore after a well worked short corner.

However, Bromley’s woes continued just five minutes later, as Rees finds himself in the Bromley penalty area, and he only had Cousins to beat as he slotted home to put the away side 2-1 up.

If Bromley were to get back into the game, there would be one man you’d put your house on scoring, Michael Cheek, and his header put Bromley straight back into the game at 2-2, as he carried on his rich vein of form.

Louis Dennis came close for Bromley right at the dying embers of the game, with his shot forcing a great save from Ashmore.

Just before additional time was announced, Boreham Wood found themselves through on goal and to Bromley’s despair Tyrone Marsh places his shot past Cousins to put his side 3-2 right at the death of the game.

There was some late pressure from The Ravens, but nothing came from it and Boreham Wood came out on top in this 3-2 win, which sent them top of the table.

Next up for Bromley is a trip to Woking on Tuesday night before returning to Hayes Lane next weekend, coming up against Barnet.

Report by Josh Hardy

Sign up for our Newsletter